Hablitzia tamnoides, Caucasian Spinach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hablitzia tamnoides, Caucasian Spinach

I'm having another go with Hablitzia tamnoides, I grew some a couple of years ago but managed to kill the young plants through neglect! As the seed is a few years old I scattered in a good pinch onto GP compost and gave a very light covering. I popped them in the propagator (although I'v read Stratification helps germination, in this case heat worked). I can't remember how they tasted although I think they were quite good, or perhaps I'm deluding myself!
    Anyway here are my little seedlings which I'm hoping to pot up in the next day or so. They have been growing in the house but I think they will do just fine in the poly tunnel until they are large enough to be planted out. Anyone growing this, love to know if it is good to eat?

010 by jayb 35, on Flickr

http://emmacooper.org/files/hablitzia.pdf

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      These seedlings look strong. Glad you got a second chance there.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Just took a peak at Emma's blog - this grows tall! Hope Caucasian Spinach tastes nice, because there will be a lot of it once it gets going.

Lol, yes they came up better than I was expecting! The seed is tiny too so even more tempting to over sow!
    You got me wondering, so I just thinned a few seedlings to taste, quite nice, not as spinachy as spinach, but a nice light flavour.

Comment

Yesterday I noticed the pots I have overwintered in the poly tunnel are sprouting - yayy. Must get them planted asap, hopefully this year!!!!

Comment

Picture update, potted plants are sprouting, looking forward to sampling some

Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	5176

I'm hoping I get some seed this year, might be one for the circle?

Comment

There is a lot of pink in these leaves, almost looks like flower petals. Guess it is the light and late winter conditions. Getting seeds would be good.

Comment

The leaves do have an almost bronzy look to them. I've not the best track record with these plants but yes seeds would be good if not amazing!

Comment

I've got three wee seedlings, so hoping these will do well this year

Comment

Well done getting some seedlings, hope they are coming on well.

My little plants have been getting a real hammering from slugs! I'm not sure now if mine are going to do so well after all

Comment

I can send you one, as two plenty for us

Comment

Thanks Hector, that's a lovely offer, but I'm fairly sure mine will get through the onslaught. I just don't think the will do as well as I had hoped.

Comment

Hi there, JayB I can see you spwed your seed in heat? I lost my main plant so havegot some seed and stratified a week. Would you recommend heat?

Comment

I don't think heat is needed for these, though it worked for me. I've some fairly fresh seed if you need any more to fall back on, hope they shoot up well.
                        Jang successfully germinated seeds earlier this year perhaps if she spots this thread she may have some tips to add.

Comment

Interestingly mine germinated in the fridge. I think I’d read that they benefit from a short period of cold first so thought I’d give them a couple of weeks. I seem to remember they germinated in about a week. I was just pleased I’d noticed!

I had eight or nine seedlings, several of which have more recently looked as if they’re struggling a bit. They’re under lights still. I’m not sure quite what they might need that I’m not giving them or whether they just go through a slightly peaky looking phase.

Comment

• Hector1
                            Hector1 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I did same as youTriffid, “ dry “ in fridge. Put in heat today( in compost) so lets see what happens!

• Jang
                            Jang commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think it doesn’t count as cold stratification unless moist. But there might be other ways which would lead to germination. That’s simply what worked for me.

• jayb
                            jayb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I don't remember them being difficult to germinate.

It interesting variety for looks like a similar malabar spinach.

Comment

Working...
                          X