Wasabi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasabi

Aggh, I finally ventured into the big poly-tunnel yesterday, one of the two Wasabi plants growing in pots is nearly dead from lack of water. I'm afraid I haven't bothered with them since the autumn! They are on wooden staging close to the doorway so luckily they have been getting some water but it seems the one furthest in has been going dry. I've given it a good water and fingers crossed it pulls through. The other plant is looking good, though I'm not sure how much the stem has grown, I'm hoping to find it a permanent spot to plant it into, just can't make my mind up where and it will have to wait until I'm a bit more able. I'm a bit of a wimp with Wasabi and I find the leaves give quite a good kick (IMHO) but it's a really good plant for adding a bit of interest to meals.

Fingers crossed - hope they can cope with a bit of 'gardener attention deficit' and will perk up, especially the plant that got very dry.

We have Horseradish in the garden and I dig up roots now and then for grating. Never tried eating the leaves - they are all gone atm, but look lovely and fresh in spring. Can you eat HR leaves like Wasabi?

Comment

I've been very lacking, totally neglected lots of things, aghh. I checked on the wasabi again yesterday and the poor dried out one has perked up, though not many leaves alive. I think it will be ok with some tlc, I don't think I've tried horseradish leaves either? One to sample in the spring, I wonder if the leaves are tough though, wasabi are quite tender?

Comment

My neglected Wasabi is making a good comeback,

Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	5178

Comment

Lush looking plant there Jayb (and an 'ahhhh spring!' avatar photo too).

Comment

The plant has done so well compared to how it looked! I bet Goodlife treats her plant better, she was going all out to get as big a plant as she could. I think mine would be an embarrassment alongside.

'ahhhh spring!' avatar photo
            Two days old in that picture and he is growing fast!

Comment

Wasabi just starting to flower, a lovely springtime treat

Name:	137.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	5363

Name:	136-001.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	5364

Comment

Thats a handsome looking plant....how did it fare? I am fairly addicted to M&S Wasabi beans....so will watch with interest your progress with this

Comment

They are doing ok, my watering has been a bit hit and miss over this last year, so I don't think they've grown as well as they could have. But they have rewarded me with a lovely show of flowers again this year and I noticed the other day a few little seed pods appear to have seeds swelling in them. I'm trying to keep an eye on them, with the hope of picking the seeds, though will probably get eaten by something!

Wasabi do seem to be fairly easy to grow and somewhat forgiving, thankfully. The leaves and flowers are lovely spring time addition to salads and stirfries.

Comment

Sounds a super wee plant....agree, its always the way that what gets munched is often the one you want to keep.
                    Last edited by Hector1; 04-05-2017, 14:47. Reason: typo

Comment

I know what you mean and unfortunately Wasabi seems to be a big draw for slimy munchers! You wouldn't think they would like the heat.

Comment

Another lapsed thread which has piqued my interest.

I’m wondering whether you grew your wasabi from seed, jayb, or whether you bought plants. Plants seem to be quite expensive but it’s difficult to find information on how likely bought seed is to germinate and how likely it is to be the real thing - eBay etc.

Comment

I originally bought a plant from https://www.thewasabicompany.co.uk/ . But I also bought another one from http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/ a few years back when I managed to kill the first one off. The plants have produced seed pods but I have a real issue remembering to pick them!!!!!! So I've still no idea how easy or not they are to grow from seed. I'm pretty sure Goodlife and someone else grew some from seed a few years back on A4A, the thread will likely come up if you do a search might answer your query better than I can.

I've only got young plants at the moment, not sure any have divided enough yet to pull a bit off. I should have something later in the year to share though if that is a help.

Comment

Sorry not trying to advertise in last post or this but I came across wasabi plants https://www.yougarden.com/item-p-380...se-horseradish on offer, which may be of interest?

Comment

• Jang
                              Jang commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks very much for your reference. I was very tempted to get the three plants on offer from You Garden. But then I remembered that I actually had an order pending from PoyntzfieldNursery. They’ve kindly agreed to add a wasabi plant to it. Extra postage charges avoided. Despatch next week!

• jayb
                              jayb commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Excellent!
                          Working...
                          X