No announcement yet.

Nine Star Perennial Broccoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost last years ( neglect when ill health stick hiit us) but five plants going well now.

interested in your planting spacing....2foot?

Comment

I had mine at around the 3' spacing, they do get quite bushy. This years plants are still quite young, I probably won't be planting them out for a few weeks yet, plus I've got to work out where they are going! I'm aiming at the same spacing again this time. I think 2' would be a bit tight?

Ps, sorry to hear health wasn't good last year, it all crumbled a here too, again. Hope everything this year is on an up for you
      Last edited by jayb; 06-05-2017, 12:50.

Comment

Onward and upward same to you!!! I was planning on 3 foot spacing, so pleased to hear you say the same

Comment

I was looking at mine yesterday, they really need me to either pot on or plant out. Trouble is I've a queue of things desperately needing to be done and planting potatoes is at the top!

Comment

Do Brassicas pass away if they set seed......asking as just seen that my Daubenton from Galina is flowering!!!!

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine never has flowered - WOW! Yes I would eat the flowers unless you have enough plants to let them cross. Brassica are outbreeders and ideally need a dozen or so.

I dont have other brassicas flowering at the moment, so wont risk it. I think its because i moved them and the move/ heat has stressed it? Off to vets!

Comment

Brown Envelope Seeds is stocking Nine Star Perennial seeds at the moment.

Comment

I'm glad a few companies have been offering seeds for this variety again, it would be a shame if it were lost.

Comment

In searching for seed and more information I was interested to find references to concern about the decline in vigour of NSPB and an attempt to revitalise it.

Alison Tindale of Backyard Larder writes about its earlier more robust history. It seems in 1907, for example, that it was reported as giving several heads, each of several inches across -https://backyardlarder.co.uk/2017/04/nine-star-perennial-broccoli/

And she refers to the fact that Incredible Vegetables began a breeding and selecting project a couple of years ago using all the accessions they could find, including material from Warwick University seed bank. Mandy Barber’s 2018 report on her project is here:
                https://www.incrediblevegetables.co....age/#more-6306

I couldn’t find a more recent update. It would be interesting to know how it’s progressing.

Nine Star perennial broccoli is a plant that has been on the perennial vegetable scene for many years, less well-known than asparagus and globe artichokes, but, like Good King Henry, appearing from time to time in general vegetable gardening books such as Hessayon’s The Vegetable and Herb Expert. It looks like this… This is my plant, …

Comment

Perennial Nine Star broccoli trial underway at Incredible Vegetables field in Devon. Project Nine Star is attemtpting to improve this perennial vegetable.

Comment

Thanks, interesting reads. There doesn't seem to be any further update from the 2018 Incredible Vegetables blog post, or perhaps it covers more than one year. It would be great to know how they got on.

Comment

• Galina
                      Galina commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They had way more plants than the minimum for good seedsaving. Their seed should be excellent. I am sure Brown Envelope seeds also know what they are doing, I would trust their seeds too.

• jayb
                      jayb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very much so, I've always been really pleased with Brown Envelopes seeds.

• jayb
                      jayb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes loads of plants, must have been a sight to see them all growing together.
                  Working...
                  X