No announcement yet.

Daubenton's Kale and relatives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's interesting but this plant must have produced seeds before somewhere in the past history.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh definitely. But perennial kales were bred to be perennial by gardeners who, year after year, did not allow them to flower, but only took cuttings. Until the plants pretty much stopped flowering, because there was no point to it I guess. Just like the perennial leeks who only occasionally flower but multiply vegetatively as the main means of propagation.

There are also efforts going on at the moment to make garlic produce fertile seeds again. With some success too. And of course potatoes, so many people experiment or actively breed the new super potatoes from tps (true potato seed from the seedballs). All good fun and helps the veg be more resilient to climate change and problems like blight and onion white rot in the future.

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Garlic is hard to produce seeds it takes true dedication to do it, getting it to flower and the the small seeds to germinate is very difficult.

Have harvested the seeds of the flowering Daubenton kale now. The plant is still looking good despite having flowered. The earliest seed is looking the best. I have put just a few into a pot in the conservatory and today the first one germinated. Yay! The seeds are fertile!

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      That's great you have new fresh seeds now for the future.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      As to how true to the variegated Daubenton they will be is of course unknown. But hopefully they will produce a perennial kale with good cold tolerant characteristics. Frankly, there isn't a great deal of difference between kales, although the Taunton Dean tastes the sweetest to me.
Working...
X