Quartz peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartz peas

A few years ago we got a trial packet of stringless Quartz pea seeds with a magazine. Quartz is also commercially available. As usual I grew them and saved my own seeds. Now I am puzzled and have a question.

I have sown from my own seeds this year as I have none left in that packet. Has anybody on here been saving seeds from them? My saved seeds have two different appearances. The colour is the same, but some are clearly round seeded and others are definitely wrinkle seeded. I have no original seeds left. If you have original seeds, please have a look and tell me what appearance the seeds are?

All seedlings have come up with the hypertendril trait, tendrils much more pronounced than in normal peas for clinging to each other and supporting each other. They also look as if they are all going to be a shorter plant. All the same uniform height as seedlings.

Quartz is not said to be a hybrid, but I don't know what is what with the two different seed types. Hope somebody on here can help. Obviously I don't know yet whether the round seeded ones will taste less sweet than the wrinkle seeded ones.

Should I have selected for wrinkle seeded ones only? Was it a mistake to sow them together? Trying to breed with the stringless trait eventually which I am told is not trivial as crosses can only be made one way round due to pollen fertility difficulties. But first I want to understand what is what with these , especially as they are not very high yielding and I did not get many seeds the first year I grew them. Last year the last few plants from original seeds unfortunately perished without making seeds at all, gardeners mishap, nothing to do with the variety.

I’m sorry not to be able to help at all as I’ve never grown Quartz.
    The small amount of information I’ve been able to gather is that it was bred by Tozers and then marketed by Mr Fothergill’s but neither company seems to offer it any more.
    I’ve seen it referred to as semi-leafless which I suppose alludes to the hypertendril habit.

I was interested in how often pollen fertility difficulties arise in peas meaning that a cross should be done one way rather than the other.

Also on the question of stringlessness. Did you find they had zero strings even when fully mature? Are there other snap peas pronounced as totally stringless?

Good luck with finding an answer to your wrinkled/round seed question. I wonder why they seem to have been discontinued. Low productivity perhaps?

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not come as far as eating them I am afraid. And I should have noticed when podding them, but that was probably all done in a rush as I did not expect anything unusual. I noticed the shape of the seeds and decided to grow and pay attention to my last few seeds, but that did not work out either. There is some online info on stringless peas which does not specifically mention Quartz, so I don't even know whether the information applies. It is all an experiment. But unfortunately only one of dozens of other experiments so hasn't had proper attention before this year. I hadn't noticed they were gone commercially. And also wonder why. Not aware of any other varieties that are stringless.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes hypertendril and semileafless are the same. Not come across this before either, but was prepared to make crosses both ways just to be sure.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Page 2 of this report mentions several other stringless peas Norbu, Quartz, Sugar Lady, Sugar Heart, Sugar Lace and Sapphire.
      https://projectblue.blob.core.window...Final_2013.pdf

Sorry Galina, wish I could help here, but I have no experience with this variety. On the EU plant variety database it is maintained by Magic Seeds Inc, Idaho. They should know its characteristics.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Magic Seeds Idaho seems to be allied to Calvin Lambourn, the 'father' of snap pea breeding. But my searches all went to page not available etc. Is my 'puter having a fruit or do these companies no longer exist. And in the above report Tozer is mentioned as the supplier, not Magic Seeds. Confused.com

• triffid
      triffid commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it appears that the domain for Magic Seeds, Inc. redirects to Calvin's Peas.
      Hmm, Tozer is probably in charge of UK distribution? The opacity of the industry..

On A4A a member very kindly sent a photo of their seeds. Both green and sand.. As far as shape there were both round and round dimpled, one seed looked drum shaped and wrinkled. I had only sand coloured and round, round dimpled and drum shaped wrinkled.
    https://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf...;topicseen#new
    Last edited by Galina; 02-04-2020, 16:43.

Comment

https://pbgworks.org/sites/pbgworks....as_(Myers).pdf

Will work through this article, but haven't got the time and brain now. Looks very interesting though for anybody wanting to breed snap and stringless snap peas.

Comment

• triffid
        triffid commented
        Editing a comment
        Fascinating, thanks for sharing. We must be on the same quarantine wavelength, because earlier yesterday I was reading the 'Snap Pea Breeding' chapter of Plant Breeding Reviews by Myers, Baggett and Lamborn.
        They mention Sickle peas as an early snap, and I remember seeing a variety called 'Risser Sickle' sold by a US company. The company didn't describe it as such but it certainly looks like a contemporary snap, very attractive curved pods, too.
        Corne de Bélier had also been referred to as 'pois faucille' or 'sickle pea', though it looks more like a puffed up mangetout.

Thanks Templeton
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YDtNWUcn8I

Comment

Working...
      X