Weed Membrane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weed Membrane

In the allotment the plot holders that are looking after my plot have rotovating it. They have been rotovating it once a month from the feed back I've been getting to keeps the weeds down. But I think it's unfair for them to keep doing this was looking to cover the whole plot in weed membrane. The finances are very tight because spending everything on the wet room for my mum plus will need special equipment for her. I was thinking if I get a roll or two of very cheap membrane that even if it lasts till autumn might be worth it what do you think?

What a sad situation., Clumsy.

As the ground is ready prepared, it is crying out for cultivation. And the quickest and best productive ground cover are courgettes and pumpkins. Rather than spending money on membrane especially cheap membrane, I would spend it on squash and pumpkin seeds. Hope your Mum is ok.

If you really want to go the cover it and leave it route, then black plastic is cheaper than membrane. But you may be faced with tears and a big plastic mess to clear up. Or the wind getting under it and lifting the ends. You would need quite a bit of work to keep it 'stapled' down and U shaped bent wire staples. Or weigh it down with bricks etc.

And having fruit to give, courgettes throughout the season and squashes at the end of the season would make an appropriate 'thank you' for the volunteers too or can go to charity kitchens.
    Last edited by Galina; 08-05-2021, 08:31.

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      really tired yeah courgette's and winter squashes would cover the ground. plus the will provide food whom ever wants it.I didn't think plus right time to sow as well. Have taken down the greenhouse I usually sow seeds at home to make room for the wet room will have to use the one on the allotment plot means very early morning trips.

Sowing squash seeds at this time of year, could you get away without using a greenhouse? Perhaps you could start the seeds in the warmest bit of the house and then keep them on a windowsill, then out of doors until they’re ready to plant out. It looks like we might get away without any more night frosts now. You could perhaps do the planting out in one early morning visit. Also looks like quite a bit of rain is forecast in the next two or three weeks which could help keep the young plants going.
    Good luck with your wet room alterations. You’ve got a lot on your plate so do look after yourself as much as you can too.

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      I've still got half a bag of compost started to put the seeds in trays and covered with cling film to keep the moisture and hopefully heat them also. The compost is a mixture with sand. I'll keep them in inside the house for germination then put them outside to grow a bit take them once ready to plant on the plot.

The wet room still looking online for inspiration don't want it to look like a complete disability room like in hospitals. My mum she hates the stair lift every time she uses it. The stair lift problem is getting out of the seat is very difficult and she hates being helped. Spent all her life being independent it's a difficult to adjust for her. I was going to but those wash and dry toilets or Japanese toilets seen some that do everything open close lids,flush, wash, dry etc automatically. But the price is very high.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      I expect you can avoid the disability look with some prettier softer colours etc. I hope you manage to find something simpler and affordable that keeps your mum safe and supported in the ways she most needs. Just having an accessible downstairs facility will make a huge difference to her I imagine.

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      It's going to make a big difference for my mum. Got a wheel chair coming tomorrow I don't think she will be happy seeing it, always get an earful buying anything thats helpful. But she needs it for the hospital appointments alone.

The wheel chairs is here. Went to the plot to see what's the situation is. A Nice surprise looks like they've started to plant things two rows of courgette's and in the greenhouse lettuce,cucumber,chilli and tomato plants. Plus loads of weeds are started appearing with the rain. No one was there empty even though it's nice and warm. Was a quick visit.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. That looks great on both fronts, Clumsy.
      I hope your mum doesn’t give you too hard a time over the wheelchair. She’ll appreciate your efforts and care really even if she feels she needs to protest!

And what a lovely surprise on the allotment. It looks so cared for. It’s so brilliant that some kind souls are looking after you while you look after your parents. It gives you faith in human nature.
Working...
X