Harvesting Syrian Broad Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvesting Syrian Broad Beans

The question goes to galina harvesting syrian broad beans they are thin about 3 inches long I think. What size should they be before harvesting them? I'll upload a picture tomorrow to show the progress?

That sounds right. The pods are fairly short. If you squeeze gently on the pods, you can feel whether they are filled or not and harvest accordingly. Here is a photo for you showing pods and beans. http://seedsaverscircle.org/a4a-seed-saver-group-2016/ The beans start off green like ordinary broadies, and turn black as they are getting dry. The beans themselves are smaller than normal broad bean seeds and there are mostly 4 to a pod, but you should have several pods per node.

Comment

Thanks Galina uploaded the pictures but not to sure if they will do.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        They look just fine to me Clumsy. A gentle squeeze on the Syrian broad bean pods will tell you when they are ready for shelling. In the first picture the pod looks well filled. The purple pea is Sugar Magnolia for sure, the tendrils are very different from the Winterkefe tendrils. Sugar Magnolia is a snap pea, you eat them whole like French Beans. They are thick-podded not thin podded like mangetouts. The pods have no fibre, apart from the usual string which needs to be removed. Very crunchy. Yummy raw or 'topped and tailed' and just lightly steamed.

Okay harvested all the beans now.

Comment

They look ready for podding. A quick further dry of the bean once they are out of the pods, then store. Either reconstitute by soaking overnight then boiling for yummy broad bean hummus (or for adding to stews etc) during winter. Or store dry for seeds. Nice haul, Clumsy. Seeds kept dry and cook will last for 5 years easily.

Comment

Podded them today. Is it worth adding them to the seed circle?

Comment

I have finally down mine and had a good crop. A few have escaped and started to grow. Wonder if they will survive the winter. ?

Comment

• Jang
              Jang commented
              Editing a comment
              I don’t think I’ve ever had a volunteer broad bean. Perhaps my mice are more voracious!

It’s quite common, of course, to overwinter small young broad beans sown around October or November, so it will be interesting to see whether older August started beans could possibly survive. I’m aware that some people start field beans at this time of year with good results if the winter isn’t too severe.

Is this the same variety as Syria Small offered in this year’s A4A seed circle, and originally from Adam Alexander?

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't know about A Alexander's, but the one I originally shared with A4A seed circle was brought by Jaap Vlaming from Syria.

• clumsy
              clumsy commented
              Editing a comment
              I did do an experiment with this bean that after you have harvested everything cut the plant say 1 or 2 inches above the soil it regrows again but not many beans though.

Do you know whether that works with other broad beans, clumsy?

Interesting that there are two Syrian broad bean varieties in circulation. This year the variety contributed to the seed circle was Syria Small which Adam Alexander says he ‘found in a market in Damascus in 2011 when travelling there at the start of the civil war. Young boys would sell fresh bean from great mounds they pushed around on casts through the streets of the old city’.

The Syria Small is a green seeded bean though
            Last edited by Jang; 30-08-2021, 19:04.

Comment

• clumsy
              clumsy commented
              Editing a comment
              Broad beans I don't really grow them. The syrian bean was the only one I did the experiment. Worth trying as most plants I think they would regrow as long as the stem is still there and green. I onve had a courgette plant that was eaten but only had a very tiny piece of leave left. I left it then in dry spell gave it water did nothing for a month the like over night it grew it produced loads of courgette late in the season. It was amazing had a bet with people it will grow honestly I thought maybe but as weeks went on people were asking how many have I harvested from it. Kept faith nothing to lose. Sometimes its worth try.

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              No the black one from Jaap was given to me in 1999, so much longer ago than the small green seeded from Adam.
          Working...
          X