Potato Flowers 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato Flowers 2020

The first of the bucket grown potatoes to flower this season even if it is shyly is Abbot. We have also had our first couple of meals of new tatties from them too- delish.

Abbot along with many early potatoes are not big into flowering I have had pods form in the past but it's not the norm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	058.JPG Views:	5 Size:	249.8 KB ID:	12721

Last edited by jayb; 22-05-2020, 08:22.

Abbots (were I thought surprisingly closely) followed by Mayan Gold, not so shy at flowering.

In previous years Mayan Gold flower prolifically when grown on the plot readily set berries. It's lovely to see their bright flowers from these pot grown ones, but keeping them watered well is proving tricky.

Click image for larger version  Name:	045.JPG Views:	5 Size:	318.4 KB ID:	12723
    Last edited by jayb; 22-05-2020, 08:20.

Comment

• Hector1
      Hector1 commented
      Editing a comment
      What an attractive potato bloom.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I remember reading a post by Tom Wagner a few years back, along the lines of some of the more prolific flowering potato varieties are worthy of the ornamental garden and I think he's spot on. Admittedly more a wild type garden as potatoes are none too compact, but the flowers they can put out are amazing and for several months at a time, they are just lovely.

Beautiful! Are these the tub ones from March?

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes they are.

A new variety for me this year Mayan Twilight, flower colour is very close to M. Gold and again is throwing lots of flowers despite being grown in a small bucket. I'm partly growing these this year because I adore coloured potatoes and also because I'm hoping some seed might set or to use the pollen to cross.

Click image for larger version  Name:	049.JPG Views:	0 Size:	396.1 KB ID:	12738

Edit to add; when I was moving the potato buckets around today I was surprised to notice a couple of small tubers peeking through the compost. They are forming earlier than I would have thought and will top the bucket up with compost to hopefully avoid green spuds tomorrow.
    Last edited by jayb; 23-05-2020, 20:28.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      In the envy stakes, I definitely now have potato envy!
      Having spent years growing very standard varieties I'm now looking forward to much more experimentation with different varieties. Next year as all planted up for this year! Just my baby tps plants for the time being.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooooh, think of it as a taste of what is to come. Just think of the excitement of what you have growing from your tps, you're going to be having a ball soon.

Charlotte, a real favourite here, not as early as Abbot but the tubers are already a new potato size to harvest from a march planting, although I'm sure the crop will be heavier left for a couple of weeks. But I couldn't resist and I have sneaked a few into the saucepan alongside Abbot.

Flowers are a lovely pale lilac fading to slightly off white with age. Charlotte flowers too when grown on the plot but very shy to set pods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	043.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	12741

Name:	037.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	12740

Comment

Definitely potato envy. We finished the last stored potatoes last week. My earlies are 5 inches tall at best, albeit growing nearly an inch a day at the moment. These flowers are just beautiful and so well photographed too. Enjoy the fine flavour of these.

Comment

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. Wow your babies sound like they are really motoring now, they won't be far behind in the scheme of things. I'm finding it's lovely to enjoy these ones in tubs before the stress of Late blight arriving.

Mayan Gold (right) and Mayan Twilight (lower left) side by side.

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	12787

Comment

Argos is a new to me variety, I believe a South American variety with tubers that are a striking two colours, Looks to have diploid type leaves.
        This may or may not be an off type as I've labeled it as 2 (but not added off, so who knows!) I think it's a beauty whatever.

Click image for larger version  Name:	046.JPG Views:	0 Size:	413.9 KB ID:	12810

Click image for larger version  Name:	047.JPG Views:	0 Size:	364.6 KB ID:	12811

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          It certainly is a beauty.

When you said it was new to you do you mean that this is your first season growing it? I'm a bit confused as to where the off type/2 labelling comes from if totally new.

I'd also love to know how you identify diploid type leaves. More info, pretty please!

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry I wasn't clear, yes the first season I'm growing this variety.

A couple of varieties I bought this year had a few tubers that looked slightly out of place in comparison to the others, might just be nothing. I think they are not certified seed potato.

Diploid potatoes often have a narrower leaf, for example if you compare the first two pictures, of Abbot and Mayan Gold. Not always but it can be a good indication.

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I missed your reply till now.
          Thanks for the clarification. And for the useful pointer to possible differences in leaf growth for diploids.

A whole world opens up!

More flowers, again a bucket grown one, Bonita ojo de Perdiz. The flowers are a nice size and such pretty shades. I have a few more of these growing out in the potato plot, fingers crossed they do well.

Name:	039.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	12875

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	12876

Comment

Stunning looking potato. Had not heard of this variety before.

Comment

This is probably not unusual at all but I was struck by the size of the cluster of flowers on International Kidney yesterday

. ‚Äč

Comment

Working...
            X