Snookie Fingerling Potato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snookie Fingerling Potato

Grown from TPS in 2013 and from saved tubers in 2014. Probably best as a late maincrop variety which produces very long thin fingerling type potatoes of cream skin and flesh with lovely waxy texture and gorgeous taste, imo! Tubers have medium eye depth which seems to give them character, flowers are white and will set some berries.

Some more pictures from earlier in the year.

Comment

Late Blight has affected this years crop, by how much I'm not sure yet. Also I have a few selfed berries and a couple of crosses that I picked before blight infected them, popping the stems in water to keep them going. I'm hoping these will grown a little and mature seed?

Comment

I picked just a few of these to try yesterday, mostly the ones I could see poking through the ground, delish!

They're easy to clean and boil well, lovely waxy texture, flavour is good although Hot Dog is better. I think with a longer cropping season tuber size would be bigger. But hey considering the blight attacks, I'm just happy to have some to eat!

Snookie by jayb 35, on Flickr

Comment

I am very happy that you got some in the end. Touch and go there for a while to get any. Did you also have blight that stopped or was it all due to diligently removing leaves?

They look so good

Comment

I am very happy that you got some in the end
            Thank you

No LB pretty much kept up throughout, although for here the weather was considerably dryer than usual which helped no end. It's been a case of removing visibly infected foliage once or twice a day, what a faff! But I'm glad now that I've some to show for the effort. Since the temperatures have dipped it's keeping it in check. I'll cut the foliage of any remaining this week and all being well, harvest hopefully at the end of the month.

Comment

I only managed to get a couple of crossed berries this year, which I managed to pick to ripen inside before the plants were lost to LB again! Flowering hadn't been brilliant but there were a couple of open pollinated berries just starting to setting too. Imagine my surprise when I went to pick my aunt some potatoes from her raised veggie bed, and the one Snookie plant I put in there is absolutely loaded with young berries! I'm hopping they get to grow and ripen, hope no one pulls them up!!!!

Comment

Well as you know I am very envious indeed. I have tried to handpollinate, jiggle gently and do nothing, but from the same potato varieties that you get good berries, I get literally none. There are also the most beautiful purple Sarpo flowers here and they too wilt to nothing or mostly just drop off. After a puff of wind, they are all just gone. I am so very impressed how well this is working for you. Even though it seems that your Aunt can do it even better without even trying Fabulous.

Comment

• Galina
                  Galina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hotdog and Snookie here are still growing nicely. The foliage is still green and going well. Haven't peaked yet, but it looks like they are maincrop potatoes and will get dug up as late as possible.

• jayb
                  jayb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes a maincrop on the late side, although I've been pulling a few and they are lovely younger too.

My little Snookie plant is looking good and growing berries in a straw bale. Haven't looked for tubers but I'm going to leave it as long as possible before I take it up. Looking forward to trying it!

Comment

I hope you like them
                  Yayy for berries!

Comment

Some I picked yesterday, the plants were cut down weeks ago before they really had a chance to make good size tubers or set/ripen berries. Even so I'm quite pleased with how they have done

Click image for larger version

Name:	052.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	3938

Comment

• Galina
                      Galina commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They look good indeed!

Yours when harvested should be chunkier although still long. I'm looking forward to how they do with you and pictures if you can would be smashing

Comment

I might have got it wrong about Snookie being a bit chunkier, the ones I picked today were even longer than before! The longest were around the 10" mark, they really are wacky!

Click image for larger version

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	4130

Comment

• Galina
                        Galina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looking forward to mine very much.

Wow, look at those guys! Lovely!

Comment

I dug one up in the next door row! Next year I'll give them slightly wider plantings

Comment

Working...
                        X