Storage of seed tubers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage of seed tubers

I am storing my overwintering seed tubers in a coolish dark cupboard which is about the best I can manage, short of a small amount of fridge space. Some varieties are throwing shoots now which because of the dark are quite long and thin.

I'm wondering how much this matters. Is it best to leave them where they are and bring them out in about a month's time and then rub off the tall shoots, put them to chit, and hope that enough new shoots will grow? I can take the worst variety, which is Kestrel, rub the shoots off now and put them in a fridge until into the new year.

Mine are in egg boxes in full light but in a cool place. No shoots at all. The tubers for eating are in the same cold room but covered of course, and some have started to grow shoots. In the past I have likewise never kept seed potatoes dark. Always in the frostfree conservatory in egg boxes but not covered.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose the only time I have not stored in egg boxes is when mini tubers were so small, that I thought it wiser to plant them up into barely damp soil, rather than risking them drying out.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I would bring them out into the light now. Rubbing off shoots I am not so sure about as each eye only makes one. In the light now should stop the long shoots. If many eyes do not have any shoots then you can rub off, but if they all have shoots you might be losing your future branches. I would bring them out, leave the shoots on and decide later. At worst you can plant up a couple of those spindly shoots, which after a while in the light should be much stronger. They will grow into potato plants but single stem only so lower yielding. I am really not too sure whether shoots that have been rubbed off, will regrow.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.That's very interesting. It's more difficult to find cool places in the light here but I'll work on it.
Working...
X