Clear All

This is from a random firkle, just what I was hoping for

Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	6694

Comment

Nice colours on the inside as well as outside. Two good ones. Love the red one

Comment

Thanks, me too. I'm pretty sure it's a Hot Dog x Red Emmalie F1, Pink Dog might be a possible name come harvest time, if they haven't rotted in the ground.

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Pink Dog ! like it

That is a fabulous pink! I do love these coloured ones.

Comment

Boiled one of the little purple ones last night along with my Snookies and Hot Dogs. Stunning cooked purple colour, really vibrant, plus flavour was good.

Comment

When you say 'little' how long are they? 3, 4 inches or less? Don't know how short your grass was at the time, but they do look a useful size. Nice that the purple colour persists after cooking. Did you get a proper harvest of the Pink Dog?

Comment

Lol. grass is never very short or neat, too many lumps and bumps with lots of weeds! But yes I would estimate around 3'' with some at 4''. Pink Dog will likely be one of these https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.c...=6923#post6923. Though I'm not sure, I have saved the tuber from the picture to plant out next year.

Comment

I planted up the 'Random Pink Firkle', the Purple fingerling along with a long white in 3 flower buckets. I think now, there's not enough space but Random Pink Firkle has started to flower, lovely white ones just like it's mom.

Comment

Just a couple of pictures of a few of your fingerling potatoes Jayb (and one other). From left to right Bikini, Pink Fir Apply x Inky Squid, Snookie x Violetta #3
                  Second row Hot Dog x Inky Squid #1 and 2 Kifli x PFA #4

Just look at the size of the PFA x Inky Squid plant (flowering too but no berries) abt 4ft tall and dark stems. They are all still in pretty good condition blightwise, although others have long gone and we had the sixth warning from Blightwatch. This year potatoes are really getting tested here. Better blight resistance than Sarpo Mira here.

The second picture shows the bed of all the Kifli x PFA (background) and Kifli x Ratte (foreground) which I have all grown again to really evaluate now that the tubers should be adapted to our conditions. They all look really healthy and no blight either.

I have a volunteer plant of Kifli x Ratte #1 that is also still in perfect condition. The Hot Dog x Red Emmalie (or is it Emmalia, sorry I can't read my own writing on the plant label) has slight blight damage and the most wonderful display of flowers, at least 5 trusses. It can definitely stay for now.

You can be proud of your breeding Jayb, such good blight resistances. Yes Snookie and Hot Dog are now showing signs of blight and will have to come out soon, but Palest Pink Eye (not a fingerling) and the new fingerlings are so good growing right next to blighted King Edward and somewhat blight damaged Snookie and Hot Dog. This is new, not having to worry about blight in potatoes, very happy and grateful for being allowed to grow your creations Jayb.
                  Last edited by Galina; 23-08-2017, 14:56.

Comment

Oh WoW! I have just dug up Hot Dog x Red Emmalie #3, aka Pink Dog. Unfortunately the foliage was getting a lot worse with blight and it is just about to rain, so I fetched them in. They are something to behold. Here they are dark red rather than pink. And look at the size of the largest. I took a group picture indoors but the colours didn't come out right, the outdoor one is a little better. Smaller tubers are lighter coloured. Aren't these impressive. You can be proud of them Jayb.

I am sure with longer growing time, more would have reached very large sizes, but that is for next year. Also there were so many lovely sprays of flowers, pity that none set. Next year. These are really lovely.

PS: do they qualify as 'fingerlings' given they are so much longer than a finger
                    Last edited by Galina; 29-08-2017, 18:29.

Comment

They look great Galina!

Probably should have a little poke around my plant and see what's happening...

Comment

• Galina
                        Galina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Will be very interesting to see what colours you get when you have a firkle. Both Pink Dog and Black Lippy are much darker here than in South Wales. Forgot to mention that there isn't a single slug hole or reject for any other reason on Pink Dog. The only ones in the 'eat now' box are the tiny ones. Oh and they certainly pass the flavour test too. Not quite as good as Hot Dog, but very nice.

Are your Pink Dogs still ok with blight, Silverleaf and Jayb? We had our 7th blight warning just now, it is really bad this year. But I treasure the potatoes that are still holding their own in this weather.

• Silverleaf
                        Silverleaf commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I still can't figure out this blight thing, to be honest. I got some brown patches in my main potato bed but they were dry and slow-developing (harvested most of them anyway because I'm paranoid and because of slugs).

Snookie and my own Faye and Taika are still in there but will probably come out soon as the plants are starting to flop a little bit, but don't seem blighted. Pink Dog and the two others Jayb sent me are fine, I think.

Only had two blight warnings this year, there were a few more last year but I didn't see any blight last year either! I think I'm just lucky with this area...

• Silverleaf
                        Silverleaf commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Checked earlier and all three plants had been completely swamped by monstrous volunteer Skagit Magic plants from TPS a few years ago, and are pretty small, no obvious tubers apart from a couple of pea-sized tinies.

All plants look good though apart from the occasional brown dry leaf tip (not worrying about that). I fought a battle with the SM volunteers and pushed all the stems over to the other side so the others have more light now - they should have plenty of time to develop some tubers for next year.

The first picture made me laugh. Good job it's on a growing forum my imagination went somewhere else. Fingerling potato looks nice.

Comment

• Galina
                        Galina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, I see what you mean. That's why I said that the colour hadn't come out right

Are these still going with you Galina? I'd love to know how they have done. I'm afraid I lost most of my potatoes this last couple of years. I hope to find some more from tps, but they do look good, I'd forgotten how much I like them.

Comment

• Galina
                        Galina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Seed potato box is found! YaY! And I have Pink Dog and Snookie to spare, a couple of tubers each. I did have the long blue ones, but those yields were a lot lower. Length of tuber was impressive though. I will see what I can find. Certainly had a berry for some fresh tps. The other berry was from the wonderful Palest Pink Eye, which lasted the longest against blight this year and produced a berry for the first time. Happy to look for any others too.

• jayb
                        jayb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So glad you found your potato box, it would have been awful for you if they hadn't turned up. I'm glad you had similar results, I found Palest Pink Eye pretty awesome against Late Blight on foliage for a number of years, they are pretty much bulletproof and leave Sarpo Mira way behind on that front. A shame they are not the most productive variety, but I'll keep looking. Oh happy dance Pink Dog and Snookie, big smile.

• Galina
                        Galina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The only very slight flaw with PPE is that they sprout fairly early. But they are so big that these just get rubbed off.

So, cool and darkish and safe. Well OH suggested that I might have stashed them under the bed, where of course they were! And one of the big black ones too.

I would say PPE yield better than Sarpo Mira for me and taste better, but for pound plus bakers Sarpo still wins. Although my Sarpo are definitely a few years old. But so are PPE by now. Sarpo was planted next to a concrete path and there is always a tuber that escapes and resprouts. Will go in the post later today or tomorrow.
                        Last edited by Galina; 18-12-2019, 06:57.
                    Working...
                    X