Red Emmalie - Rote Emma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Emmalie - Rote Emma

These are a nice variety, though I've found very susceptible to Late Blight. I grew these last year as well and both times they got a real kicking from LB. Up until then, a nice easy to grow variety, some berries set but the plants were infected pretty early on so no ripe ones. The flowers produced a nice amount of pollen and I made a few crosses to Hot Dog, looking forward to getting some seed ready for next year.

The variety is modern and bred by Karsten Ellenberg (who bred Violetta too) tubers have a gorgeous red colour and are not so much a fingerling as a elongated oval, some are nice and long others a bit chubby and round! Pinky red flesh which taste good when freshly harvested, they boiled well and were tasty hot or cold, quite waxy but I think they get more floury as they age.

Click image for larger version

Name:	095.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	3970

Name:	050.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	3971

Name:	051.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	3972

That's why Violetta has exactly the same shape (have just seen your photo on the Fingerling thread). Pretty variety. And pinky red after boiling too.

Comment

I think they have very similar or the same breeding, Violetta is Emma (La Ratte x Baltica) x Highland Burgundy Red stem (Highland Burgundy x Huamantango). I can't find Red Emmalie's breeding but I know it has both Emma and Highland Burgundy Red in it.

Comment

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        I would think there is a fair chance of finding a coloured fingerling from Violetta tps.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed - (spoken with hindsight)!

Rote Emma and Red Emmalie are the same potato. Emma is a pale yellow potato with round shape.

Do you use the term 'fingerling' to describe a long and narrow potato (ie finger shaped). Or additionally for a waxy potato. Are there even any finger shaped potatoes that are not waxy? Is there a correlation between potato shape and eating qualities?

I wondered whether Palest Pink Eye was bred from Emma, but similar shape is just coincidence, PPE is bred from Tom Wagner's Tollocan Fiesta.
      Last edited by Galina; 28-09-2015, 06:38.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Just getting my brain around the names. Do you have a diagram of all your crosses?

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        No, some I've grown I've no idea what they are, sometimes a general description on what the likely outcome is. Many of the crosses I've done are all fairly basic, I just keep a list of the crosses and generation if seed is saved, I guess I could look up the breeding on some lines, others the information isn't available.

Fingerling to me is a long narrow potato, I think although they are often waxy I don't mean a fingerling type is waxy. I'm sure I'd add that in - snookie a long, waxy fingerling. Though just my thoughts!
      I've grown some fingerling shaped ones from tps which I wouldn't describe as waxy, though that may have been the growing conditions. There are just so many types of potatoes out there it is mind boggling, British potatoes are generally very uniform in type, some of the european countries have a fantastic range of fingerling types but I really don't know enough about them.

I wondered whether Palest Pink Eye was bred from Emma, but similar shape is just coincidence, PPE is bred from Tom Wagner's Tollocan Fiesta.
      Palest Pink Eye = PPE, do you mean Red Emmalie?
      PPE is a clone selected from Tollocan Fiesta tps, I do think I have some of that pedigree copied down, I look it up.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        No - I looked up potato Emma, after I went on the pages of the breeder of Red Emmalie and noticed the similarity. But it is coincidence.

Yes you have it written down as a tps of Tollocan Fiesta.

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh dear where, point it out and I'll correct it.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        No, its all good, sorry to cause confusion. Been reading too much about too many different potatoes on too many different sites, viz Tom's, Karsten Ellenberg's and Kenosha's
    Working...
    X