No announcement yet.

Kifli x Pink Fir Apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good that Snookie and Hot Dog are reasonably fertile, I guess if I half buried a plant, I might even get a berry! (or does that only work when it is not intended?) Sorry to hear about both your wind, blight and slug losses, but more seeds and minis are just as good to carry on. And Hot Dog and Snookie have by no means reached the end of their life. The selfed ones are still tetraploid? Will that not still bring up a lot of ancestry (including looooooooong tubers). Or will they be more alike? Difficult to imagine the tetraploid thing, does crossing siblings or selfing make it a bit more diploid?

Comment

KiflixPFA6 is still looking absolutely beautiful and has developed a flower bunch! White with a pale greenish yellow star inside. However having looked at many nicely fused anthers on other pictures, these anthers are a mess! Open and twisted and very pale yellow.

I am gently jiggling these flowers daily and hoping for the best. I cannot see any pollen at all. How difficult is it to see the pollen? There was a second flower on the same plant before we went away for a few days, but that has disappeared just like mine usually do. Really chuffed at the flower I've got and hope, hope that it might - pretty please - make a berry.

Comment

Have just dug up Kifli x PFA 2 as the plants had gone - and I don't know what went wrong. I have a small handful of yellow mini-tubers. I kept looking - where are the tubers - there were no more. These were the smallest plants and possibly have been robbed by voles, although I did not find empty shells, or they seriously disliked the growing conditions here. I will give them another try next year.

1, 2 and 5 finished earlier, 3, 4 and 6 are still going. The ones that finished earlier seem to be shorter tubers. I slightly dug under a 4 plant and it has long tubers.

The best plant by a mile is 6. Maybe in a slightly better location, but 6 is just streets ahead in plant strength. Not digging those up yet. The flowers are now dropping off one by one, I doubt they will berry. Have been buzzing the flowers without seeing any pollen at all.
        Last edited by Galina; 01-09-2016, 15:27.

Comment

Finally some photos. 6 is still going - the photo shows the one firkled tuber, 3 had finished and 4 was still alive but just barely, so I dug them up. Sorry I was waiting too long for 6 and haven't photographed the others in good time. Some are rather green. 3 is surelyworth continuing with for sheer volume of tubers, 4 because it is so similar to Hot Dog and 6 because it is so blight resistant. The others will get a second chance for sure, but they stayed mostly small tubers. All are photographed on a 4 inch square coaster. The only one that was convincingly pink was 4, the others looked yellow to me. But again perhaps the colour will be clearer if one or other will grow a bigger size next year.
          Last edited by Galina; 29-09-2016, 21:35.

Comment

Hope there will be a large harvest under the 6 plants.Unfortunately several flower sprays have not led to any berries. 6 may be a late one but certainly had tubers a month ago, I am just loath digging them up whilst they are doing so well. 4 was only just deteriorating, 3 went 3 weeks ago, the other 3 went much earlier.
            Last edited by Galina; 29-09-2016, 17:35.

Comment

Number 6 looks like Kifli, but has larger plants. Just looking on the AHDB database http://varieties.ahdb.org.uk/varieties/view/KIFLI and it says that Kifli only has 5 out of 10 for blight resistance. It could be this one has better resistance as it is still in pristine condition here. I also found the flower on the website interesting, the same untidy non-fused anthers, although the styles look straight in the photo and mine were all bent. Very interesting.

Comment

Over the last few days I noticed a tiny bit of foliage blight on KiflixPFA6 and, well it is October after all, so they came out. WOW! This is the star of the bunch by a country mile. Pictures show: Total harvest from 2 mini tubers, a good tuber 5 inches long, and the prettiest tuber. Many tubers have marks where they met stones or clay, but this tuber is looking great. Taste test tonight. With this good yield and great blight resistance, this is a fabulous potato! Here in the garden the star of the mini tuber collection.

As I dug them out I thought I should mention that these were not in a specially good place, there were big clayey clods and lots of convulvulus roots, and they were next to a rose which probably took up some water. To be fair, they had a compost dalek on the other side, so may have had a bit of nutrient rich run-off. Whichever, they were not spoiled and not earthed up (which in hindsight was a bit silly, because I have a handful of tubers with green areas).

Wow I am very happy with them and happy to share. Thank you Jayb for all these exciting mini tubers.
                Last edited by Galina; 04-10-2016, 17:52.

Comment

• Galina
                  Galina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Absolutely fabulous, sweet, nutty, reminiscent of Jersey Royals, possibly better than Hot Dog! I was hoping for a really good taste result too and this one delivered on the flavour front too. Winner!

Question for you Jayb. The longer tubers seem to come either as straight or with a bend in them. This may of course be a change of direction as they meet a lump of clay in our soil or a stone. On the other hand I remember a comment from my first ever Hot Dog tuber. You said you maybe had to reselect Hot Dog because mine showed nobbles a bit like PFA. Did you mean select tubers to carry on with? If I planted the straighter tubers, would I get a straighter harvest? Or vice versa?

Comment

Well, after last year's disappointment with #5, I had a volunteer this year. Definitely a #5 with the almost translucent looking skin. Not very pink but there is a hint of colour and some pink eyes too. Tubers that were miniature last year are up to 5 inches long. Excellent that this type has come good after all, even from a volunteer that was badly squeezed. I have also grown a couple of plants of intended #5s but they are still going well and I haven't dug them up yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X