Will they won't they, Christmas/New year potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will they won't they, Christmas/New year potatoes

I planted up a pot of multi purpose compost 14/10 with one Abbot tuber. Giving it 10-11 weeks of autumn - winter growing to produce something for the festive season! Hmm......

Picture progress taken on the 3/ll

Click image for larger version

Name:	019.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	4665

Nope! Methinks they might be later than Christmas and you will have to go to your stored potatoes. New year of course is another matter. Easter new potatoes? I know fairly well how greens will respond in the greenhouse over winter and what to expect. Potatoes on the other hand, that is a learning curve and I am following your experiences with great interest.

Comment

Lol, I'm with you! But I can dream
      To be honest, I'm a bit of a traditionalist and love mashed potato or mashed potato and swede if we are having a 'turkey Christmas meal' and wouldn't want new potatoes, it just wouldn't seem right. But on New Year's day they would be lovely, Boxing day would be good too. I have a feeling it may well be further into the New Year though!

Looking at the picture they have already grown on a noticeable amount....

I've been meaning to plant up another tub or two to see how they do too.

Comment

Talking about really yummy Boxing Day potatoes. Hotdog and Snookie scrubbed, cut into third inch 'pennies' and pan-fried in olive oil. About 15 minutes on a gentle flame in a half-covered pan stirring occasionally. At the end when they are brown and crusty a crushed garlic clove over the top and a bit of salt, another stir and YUM!

How did your potatoes work out?

Comment

Oooh they sound good, did you pan fry them from raw or pre boiled? Love crispy bits of garlic, yum!
          It all got a bit much at Christmas time, I didn't even bother to look. I don't think there would have been a crop though they were just that little bit too late going in. The plant is still growing and I've had a little firkle, there are definitely potatoes underneath, I'm keeping them for mums birthday next month. I'll try and plant some more this coming September, see how they get on.
          Last edited by jayb; 16-02-2016, 08:41.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            From raw - garlic does not get all that crispy because it is added last minute, but the potatoes themselves do get crispy. I make them in a cast iron pan and get some slight sticking (which scrapes off easily for extra crispy bits). In a non-stick pan this would probably not happen.

That is a very unique birthday present - nowhere else would a Mum get new potatoes freshly grown in March.

I had boiled Snookies last night, I purposefully cooked too many so I could have they again either in a salad or refried! But I'll try some your way very soon.

Lol, potatoes for mum, after this wait, they better be good!
          Last edited by jayb; 16-02-2016, 17:16.

Comment

Well we finally ate them, not quite the Christmas potatoes, but they were a real treat, lovely and creamy.

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              great stuff, fresh potatoes in March? green fingers for sure and they tasted good. Congratulations.

Thanks and I wish it were down to me... but I think far more likely the mild winter!

Comment

Working...
            X