Chi Chi volunteer potato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chi Chi volunteer potato

I've named this Chi Chi after the Panda I remember seeing when I was little, I think Blue Peter might have made part of a programme about her. I've really no idea what this one is, I'm guessing its from an escaped tps seedling or missed minituber. It's been growing in the polytunnel hidden by another plant, I only realised they were tubers when I moved a pot.

I've tried one tuber so far, which boiled well and tasted very good, a keeper in my book

Click image for larger version

Name:	065.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	4779

This many tubers grew undetected? From tps? Must be a very high yielding variety. That it happened is no surprise at all, having just read that tps germination can easily happen a year later. Maybe this tps was in compost around another potato, perhaps even recycled via the compost bin? What a find! And I can certainly see the big panda eyes. We know potatoes with yellow background and red eyes. This is the reversal a n d the eye area is larger than usual. How exotic.

Comment

Forgot to ask, is there any red inside the tubers?
      Last edited by Galina; 02-12-2015, 08:05.

Comment

Lol, I know hard to believe they were under there, it was like WOW! But the pot is quite hefty and I think perhaps helped to conserve moisture for the plant. I'd agree it most likely appeared from previously used seed compost, especially now that it has been identified as coming from the variety Huagalina which is one I sowed last year but didn't get germination at the time.

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh fab, Chi chi's parentage has been discovered? Brill! Especially because you got no germination last year. Now there might be more popping up if dormancy is breaking at last. I still marvel at the size of the crop from one little seed.

It's an off white type I think, I didn't notice any red but I did wolf it down pretty quickly!

Comment

I suppose it is possible they had a head start and were from a missed mini tuber, but I'm not sure I grew them the previous year. Growing in the polytunnel likely helped too, it'll be interesting to see if they have any LB resistance when grown outside.
          It's looking a promising one to produce lots of small potatoes, great to just rinse and cook in their skins, yum.
          Can I tempt you to trial a couple of Chi Chi, a second opinion is really useful? They perhaps only have short dormancy?

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            Just a couple of little ones - can't resist those big eyes . I should say no, but these are so different and OH loved the look of them. Are they tetraploid or diploid?

Brilliant
          I believe they are a tetraploid.

Comment

On some of the ones I harvested, the skin was only just set. It's perhaps an indication of their heritage and they may need short days to tuberise, making them a late cropper.

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok I will start them early in pots in the conservatory, but expect a late harvest too. 'Enhanced' chitting together with my lovely Snooky/Hot Dog siblings which are also going to be started in pots. Thank you very much.

My little babies, potted up yesterday no sign of chitting yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	016.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	5093

Comment

Ouch, I forgot to pot up mine. Doing so now! Glad you mentioned Chi Chi.
              Done and on the watering table in the conservatory. Amazing just how heavy they feel
              Nothing I would call 'chits', but there were tiny nobbly bits in the eyes - actually same as in your photo. I guess chitting can't be that far off.
              Last edited by Galina; 14-03-2016, 13:42.

Comment

Aren't they pretty?

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
                  Ouch, I forgot to pot up mine. Doing so now! Glad you mentioned Chi Chi.
                  Done and on the watering table in the conservatory. Amazing just how heavy they feel
                  Nothing I would call 'chits', but there were tiny nobbly bits in the eyes - actually same as in your photo. I guess chitting can't be that far off.

I think as they were produced so late in the year they are taking a little time to have a siesta
                  You're right they are a good weight for their size, I'm looking forward to seeing how well these can crop, should be lots of smaller tubers and when will they will they start producing?

I think I have a sibling line to Chi Chi I found amongst some mini tubers from tps that I grew last year. Only the one tuber produced which is quite a good size (for a mini tuber), it's only got a small eye patch so looks much more red. Already grown some nice chits, I've popped it in a little pot to get it started.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverleaf View Post
                    Aren't they pretty?
                    They do look cute, hoping I can get some seed from these this year and perhaps use as a parent, I'm just not sure how late in the season they will be.

Comment

Definitely late in the season. A firkle a few weeks ago showed no tubers yet, but I did not go right under the plant. No flowers, no blight and they are still going strong and looking good. The photo shows 3 plants and they are quite large plants too. Considering it is mid-October I am amazed how good the foliage is.

Comment

Wow they are looking good and strong, very green still. I don't remember seeing flowers on mine either but they were kind of buried beneath BFH (Big Flat Hat) which is an awesome flowerer.

Comment

Working...
                        X