Kifli x Red Cara TPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kifli x Red Cara TPS

These are now first generation plants of a cross, Kifli x Red Cara, I made a few years ago, sown from true potato seed (tps) and grown as mini tubers last year. So far the plants look promising, nice healthy growth although the growing tips have been bothered some by earwigs, which seem almost in plague proportions here this year. Nothing harvested yet but lots of beautiful flowers in a lovely rich colour and the anther cone has quite a red tinge to it. I'm hoping for an all round main crop eating potato, both white and red skinned. I haven't checked this morning yet but so far no signs of blight.

These plants are still looking healthy, green leaves and lots of pretty flowers, also quite a few berries have set and are hanging in bunches. I think the combination of Kifli x Red Cara has in this case worked well for berry setting. I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of crop they give and how they taste.

Comment

Oops, L. blight has arrived, hoping to salvage a few berries to save for seed.

Comment

I picked several of the berries from this cross a while back, before blight overcame them and brought them inside to ripen. I'm hopeful they will mature and harvest seed.
        Today I picked my first lot of potatoes, I'm quite pleased with the results from my mini tubers and coupled with them having a late planting. The largest are small baker size and they'll be going in the oven later. The picture doesn't do the colour justice, they are a beautiful glowing red colour. I scrapped the skin a little, they look to be white fleshed.

Comment

Lol, I messed up somewhere along the line! I ate a lovely jacket potato last night, good texture and taste, but not white fleshed - it was red!!!!
          It must have been just a very thin line of white at the surface when I scraped the skin. Doh and the flower was a good indication!

Comment

Well pink-fleshed is better, right?

Comment

Certainly much rarer!

Comment

They look gorgeous! I've always liked the look of red and purple potatoes.

Comment

Certainly much rarer!

Comment

Well I've plenty of berries from these if anyone wants one? I don't think I could possibly work out what they are though, just too many to narrow it down. I did make several crosses with Kifli, if indeed it is a Kifli cross, to give this colour it could be
                    Kifli x Awol Again
                    Kifli x Awol Dude
                    Kifli x October Blood
                    Kifli x Russian Blue

Comment

Pink flesh is great and it tastes lovely, quite a waxy type. But I was thinking for blight resistance, this might be good to cross with Sárpo Mira next year.

Comment

I would absolutely love to try this if you have a few spare seeds!

Comment

Definitely, I'll put a potato ball to one side for you, none are ripe yet. I'm sure this tps will produce some lovely interesting types, if this one is anything to go by.
                          I've a few more plants of 'this cross' to harvest, I don't know if they are all from the same clone or siblings.

Comment

Excellent, thank you! Isn't it exciting seeing what you'll get when you grow things out?

Comment

Yes, I love it. Lots to wonder at and fun seeing the variations, plus the unexpected surprises.

Comment

Working...
                              X