Diploids from tps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diploids from tps

Here's a few of the experimental types grown from tps, not the most productive and some needed a longer season before harvesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	6851

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	6852

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	6853

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	6854

These are from seeds this year? They have done fabulously well compared to some of my Picasso tps. Are Violetta and Skagit Magic diploid? They have grown (mostly) to thugs of plants, easily the size of Snookie plants. Which has caused a bit of a problem with the mini tuber plants getting squeezed, I had not expected such big plants. And look forward to the harvest. Aren't diploids said to be tastier than most triploids? Were these big plants? Nice, Jayb.

Comment

No they were some very late mini tubers from last year I saved. Skagit Magic are Diploid, Violetta aren't.
      Skagit Magic are very robust and generally keep on growing until the end of the year. Mine from tps a couple of years ago, made very big showy plants too, a real delight to grow. I did find they can be late to tuberise and the harvest size between plants really quite variable, they are another one that can spread quite a bit underground.
      Diploids do seem to be linked with very good flavour The mix of plants I grew were quite energetic and did have some LB resistance, unfortunately only a couple of seed pods harvested, although they initially set quite a few.

Comment

Yes I am still puzzled how to harvest them when I do eventually. The plants are so big and intertwined. I will have to cut the foliage and the position of each plant should then be obvious from the stumps. Then dig from the outside in and hope for the best. The tubers should look different. Some of the Violetta were smaller plants and perished weeks ago (not so blight resistant) and the Skagits are located in the row between the Violettas. I only had 4 or 5 Skagit plants flanked by two rows of Violetta. Some Violetta and (I think) all the Skagit tps plants are so big. The round berries should be Violetta, the strawberry shaped ones Skagit Magic tps - yes there are some dropped berries which I cannot allocate.. With some 3 ft tall and wide plants and an allowance of just over half a foot between them (thinking they would be small plants from seeds), you can see my problem. I think the foliage is differen which might help. I certainly noticed that Skagit looks more like a tomato plant than a potato plant in early season pictures - a tomato leafed potato . Here is the picture: https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.c...dy-in-potatoes

I hope I will be able to allocate them all correctly. Thank you for your help. BTW I have several berries, none very big though.

Thank you for the diploid (and other) advice Jayb.
        Last edited by Galina; 21-09-2016, 07:21.

Comment

They sound like they might be in a bit of a mix, generally SM tubers have a round shape and all mine were white or cream fleshed. Violetta's will more likely be oval types and flatter, any with purple flesh or dark indigo skin should be a good indication too. You can't always tell the difference between berry types though you're right the pointier ones are often diploids. Yes the foliage is slightly smaller and narrower, sometimes with a slight silvery sheen, have a look a bit further up the page in that link you give, there are some in full swing and it shows the leaf type quite well.

Good luck with your quest, hope it goes well,

I think violetta will have tuberised earlier too if that helps. Some diploids hang on to the stem longer than our more modern varieties do.

Comment

Thank you, this should help sorting the 'wilderness' Jayb

Comment

Fingers crossed for you

Comment

Well in the end it wasn't too bad sorting them and there is a clear difference between them. There were some lovely Violetta tubers, one was good baker size, but unfortunately just about all were slug hollowed which was a real shame. Should have harvested earlier I guess. I had yellows, reds and purples, the purples had purple stems. Still flowers on them! I also picked a few berries.

Then the Skagit Magics. Now these were thugs, huge plants and underground they were no better - miles and miles of root runs with very few and tiny potatoes. They were round and just to confuse matters two were purple, one was yellow and one, the saving grace, was a moderate plant and a really lovely eye-catching two tone red and yellow with up to egg sized tubers. This one I will carry on with. Looks a little similar to Chi Chi. I will never find all these tiny tubers and fear they might pop up next year.

Strange to dig up Violetta when they were still flowering, but unfortunately the slugs had already done their worst. I have yellow Violettas and purple Skagit Magics, but with your description and row markers and the gardening book the only confusion was finding odd round tubers everywhere on looooong convoluted roots. But once I twigged what was going on with the SMs and their underground spread, it was relatively easy to sort them. At least I think I know which is which. Will take photos tomorrow - too dark now.
                Last edited by Galina; 04-10-2016, 06:51.

Comment

A few pictures: There is really only one that I am doubtful about. The red one in the first photo (looks darker on the photo than in reality) looks like Skagit Magic but the tubers were in a Violetta row. However they do wander and they don't look like my violetta tps tubers. Root mess with small tubers, also sprouts off tubers. Maybe these have very short dormancy? SM tps yellow and SM tps purple. And lastly the bi-colour one which has larger tubers.
                  Last edited by Galina; 04-10-2016, 14:36.

Comment

Comment

Have cut them open to see what they are like inside. Mostly yellow to dark yellow, but the dark black tubers have some red dots on the inside, almost in a star pattern.

Comment

Great diversity you have there Skagit Magic has evolved quite a bit since I saved seed first, tubers were predominantly white/cream with similar flesh with one or two bi coloured. I didn't have any that had dark yellow flesh which is interesting. I quite often get heat sprouts with some of the diploid types, not something I like. I think you are right they do look much more likely to be Skagit Magic rather than Violetta.

Particularly love the star and two tone ones.

Comment

Unfortunately the one with dark yellow inside was rather forgettable on all other counts. But OH reported good flavour from all of them. So there really is something about 'diploid flavour'. The one with the star was really only marble sized - at best, Pity.

Really interesting about the further developments of the SM seeds. Yes they are amazingly diverse.
                          Last edited by Galina; 12-10-2016, 22:16.

Comment

Working...
                          X