Abbot tps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbot tps

Abbot were generous enough to set some pods last year, I'm hoping for some early types. I'd be surprised if they are not all whites. I'll check the date when sown, I'd be interested to know how long from tps sowing to cropping. just to add that this picture was taken on 7th May.

Click image for larger version  Name:	041.JPG Views:	1 Size:	289.6 KB ID:	7569
    Last edited by jayb; 09-06-2017, 09:53.

Haven't sown mine this year as I have so many potatoes to grow and evaluate - next year. Yes it will be interesting how long they will take. Last year when I planted tps, most had tiny potatoes hanging off already. Maybe I should have potted them on into much larger follow-on pots. Glad that Abbott germinated without difficulty.

Comment

Yes it's amazing how early they are able to start making tiny little tubers. Unfortunately I crisped them but have 3 or 4 remaining, plus I've misplaced the seeds or I'd sow some more! I popped some athlete seeds in a couple of weeks ago, no sign of life yet. Yes they germinated quite quickly and fairly together.

Comment

Progress for the four survivors (plus one very weedy one which I don't think will come to much).
        Picture taken 7th June and is one month on from the seedlings in post one, here they are still in the seed modules

Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	7921

And after potting up in one litre pots to bury some of the stem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	072.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	7922

Comment

Around a fortnights progress, the pictures are taken on planting out, they are looking a little sorry for themselves! Photos taken on 22nd June, the first four shots are the plants above plus the fifth is the slower growing seedling which although still half the size of the others is now looking like it has decided to join the party! I've drawn up soil around the plants covering a good amount of stem, no sign of any mini tubers at planting out, so all their strength is going into making sturdy plants. That's if they have the chance now it's prime LB season.

Comment

A good chance for Abbot seedlings to prove their blight resistance. But far preferable would be that they won't have to until they are well established plants. Very best of luck.

Comment

We'll go with the preferable option please! That would be so nice and unusual!
              I'm not sure they will have much resistance, especially them being quite young plants. Saying that I've just planted out a mix of Carolus, Sarpo Mira and Palest Pink Eye crosses in the hope they will self select for LB resistance.

Comment

Just under a fortnight's progress, from the pictures they don't look to have moved much! But they are growing and do look stronger plants when I walk past. Pictures are in the same plant order

Comment

• Galina
                  Galina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes they have filled out nicely. And will now race away, especially if we get a drop of rain.

You are right about the rain, we have had a bit but pretty much a constant wind too so the ground here is quite dry, compared to normal. Plants are suffering somewhat but the bonus, less weeding to do!

Comment

Working...
                X