Lantern (orange) October sown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lantern (orange) October sown.

I've a soft spot for this variety and although this started as a seed germination test, seeds are from 2015. But inspired by Clumsy, I've decided to grow a couple of plants on! Istarted them off on paper and then transferred a few sprouting seedlings to a pot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	10058

I normally start them on a damp cloth when I have all the seeds I want germinating quickly, that way you know which will grow or germinated. I'm thinking of investing in grow light for the chilli's.

Comment

Good advice.
      I think Grow lights make such a difference to out of season growing and seed starting, pricey, but if you want to go down that route, you won't look back.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you think we could get away with using an anglepoise lamp and just buy growlight bulbs

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't know those type of lamps were called anglepoise! Yes, I don't see why not, though I have no experience of using them. Grow lamps/lights need to be quite close to the plants, so the area they illuminate is limited. The lights I have are quite bulky so need a dedicated area, an anglepoise or two would be much easier to site.

Slow going, I should know better than to use old compost, now potted on and I hope will perk up soon.
      Not the best photo, my phone doesn't always do close-ups well.

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	823.3 KB
ID:	10146

Comment

Those chilli plants are getting bigger. It's november and those chilli plants are doing great.

Comment

Thank you Clumsy, though It seems they are growing very slowly, I think I forget how much energy they need to get going!
          They are under lights now so that and the fresh compost should make a difference.

Comment

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            They are very clearly growing. And having sown them so early means that you should get a good harvest in 2020. An alternative to overwintering them to get that good second year harvest. And probably the easier alternative. Bonnie little plants

Lantern are probably a bit tall growing to start this early, but hey I've never tried this before so we shall see. I hope they won't get too lengthy.

Comment

One week on they look happier and are starting on a new set of leaves. Nowhere near as fast-growing as their cousin Cristal (which is the big leaf to the right).

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	589.2 KB
ID:	10227

The ones I left in the pot in the older compost, although growing alongside them are not looking so good.

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	10228

Comment

• clumsy
              clumsy commented
              Editing a comment
              They seem to be motoring ahead.
          Working...
          X