Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dwarf growing Sweet Peppers, Mohawk F1 Redskin F1, Lemon Dream F1, Tangerine Dream F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf growing Sweet Peppers, Mohawk F1 Redskin F1, Lemon Dream F1, Tangerine Dream F1

I'm trailing these varieties In my Winter indoor garden.
    Mohawk F1
    Redskin F1,
    Lemon Dream F1,
    Tangerine Dream F1.

I've sown two seeds of each variety in multi-purpose compost on the 7/11/19, Lemon Dream only managed one seedling the others were all 100%. The above varieties were the shortest growing peppers I could find doing a quick search and if they are a success I'll aim to save some seeds to look for small productive growers.

The picture was taken a week from sowing, seedlings are only starting to sprout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	625.3 KB
ID:	10310

They are all up now and are looking to be nice compact seedlings, much shorter than Baby Belle aubergine whose stem is at least twice as long as theirs.

What a lovely array of peppers. Must go google them.

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Same I had to google them as well. The aubergine plant could be the heat plus less light making it grow leggy. But you can pot them deep like tomato.., I've done that with chilli plants, before the stem get's woody if that make's sense plus I have noticed in the past like tomato the chilli stems do produce roots.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      There is not much you do not know about chillis, Clumsy. Learning all the time.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      That's how I found them too Galina, a shame they are all F1's. I think Real Seeds had one they said was short growing, perhaps not dwarf enough though.

I wondered that too clumsy, but although it's warm they are under good lighting and the peppers alongside are still nice short and stumpy in comparison, it may even out in time. But I'm getting the feeling short and stumpy is what I'm aiming for winter growing. I can see some root stumps already formed on the Aji, so they should grow quickly once potted up a little more deeply.
      Last edited by jayb; 23-11-2019, 11:46.

I think if you move chilli's to where you get enough daylight in the room is just warm with central heating they do grow slowly like mine. But you can nip the top to stop them getting to big if needed. I think your going to have a bumper harvest next year of chilli's plus pretty early if everything goes right, I just have this feeling from past experience from over wintering chilli plants. They are actually very robust and don't mind mistreatment.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Our house isn't very warm, except for a couple of rooms which are ok. You are right it's that balance between temperature and light that needs to be right. Looking at the growth habit of the dwarf peppers, they are so far remaining compact as they grow. But yes I think some of the chilli plants will need pinching out as they won't be cropping until next summer. Caldero I'm hoping will set fruit at some point late winter/spring and should remain fairly compact, though I may nip out a few tips to compare. I am hoping the dwarfs remain small enough to be grown under lights throughout and hopefully set a winter/spring crop, though we shall see and I may only have room for a plant of each.

These are looking nice plants now, they have been potted up into 2-litre pots and remain growing under lights in the house, no heating turned on in this room. Redskin and Mohawk are slightly shorter plants with an earlier fruit set than Lemon and Tangerine Dream.

Mohawk
    Click image for larger version  Name:	012.JPG Views:	6 Size:	436.9 KB ID:	10951

Redskin

Click image for larger version  Name:	015.JPG Views:	6 Size:	399.0 KB ID:	10952

One of the Dreams fruit

Click image for larger version  Name:	016.JPG Views:	6 Size:	415.5 KB ID:	10953
    Last edited by jayb; 25-01-2020, 20:27.

Comment

Fab! Just fab!

Comment

That’s amazing! In January!
        So from sowing you have good sized fruit in just over two months?
        Is this a great ‘selling point’ of dwarf varieties which I’ve missed till now?!

Comment

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          Two months to fruit. Could be that dwarf varieties produce early since the plant is compact.

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the fruit looks bigger in the picture than real life, I put the seed label in the picture, but I'm not sure it looks right. The fruit is perhaps half the size of a shop-bought one and by the feel of it very thin-walled. But yes it does seem rapid. I guess the overall production is what would let it down?
      Working...
      X