Alberto's Rocoto, winter growing/under lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberto's Rocoto, winter growing/under lights

I started a germination test in mid-October and ended up putting a seedling under grow lights, (also a couple on a windowsill). I'm pleased with progress so far, the plant is still quite small (thankfully) and flowering. The first couple of buds yellowed and fell, but the remaining flowers look to be stronger. I potted it on at the weekend into a 2 litre pot from a 9cm pot. I'm hoping it wasn't too big a shock as the compost was cold and I did it outside!

11th November
    Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	525.8 KB
ID:	10702

5th December

Name:	224.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	10703

20th December

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	493.8 KB
ID:	10704

13th January

Name:	070.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	10705
    Hoping for some early chillies (fingers crossed the flowers don't keep dropping)

This gives a better idea of plant size, I'm used to them being huge summertime so I'm hoping spring arrives in time.

Name:	073.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	10707

Comment

I know what you mean. Mine last time overwintered in the greenhouse and ended up touching the ceiling the second year. But the peppers were oh so good. Hot, but so different from normal chilis. I had a large bag in the freezer, nicely halved and deseeded, well over a pound but alas long since eaten. Half is definitely enough for a dish for us. Must have the seeds somewhere in the freezer.

Aren't those flowers pretty? and those hairy leaves are quite different too.

Comment

Yes, I just love the leaves and flowers too, so pretty. Same here, none left to eat. I have seeds from 2016 (or hopefully fresh in the summer) if you need any or a little seedling ready if you would like one now to chat with?

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          I appreciate the offer but I will be lucky if I get the Purple Tiger and Serrano Tampiqueno plants through winter this year on layers of capillary matting on sunny window sills due to lack of conservatory. I know for sure there are Alberto Locoto seeds in the freezer, just a matter of having the time to start them and I would not want a plant if it is at risk from not being sufficiently cared for due to changes here. Thank you though very much. As these are reliable short lived perennials rather than annuals, it is entirely possible to start them fairly late in the year, so they are not too tall to overwinter, but they will still thrive and produce well in their second year. I have a new rocoto from Real Seeds (Chocolate Locoto), which I plan to grow in this way.
          Last edited by Galina; 15-01-2020, 17:30.

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok. Glad you have some sunny windowsills and hope it goes well for them.
          Ooow snap, Chocolate here too!
          For this year I've got some old seed of an orange one I hope to get started, I think it's one I shared with A4A seed circle a few years back. Love Rocotos, they are just so forgiving and willing, plus gorgeous hairy leaves. Now if I could find one not so blisteringly hot I'd be in heaven.
          Look Forward to hearing about the Chocolate one's progress.

Coming along slowly, I spotted these hidden underneath the foliage.

Name:	063-001.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	11024

Comment

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the colour of the flowers been a while since I've grown any rocoto chilli.

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          I've gone overboard with sowing some different rocoto varieties this year. Your right the flower colour is lovely.

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          And the furry leaves and stems, and the little bulbous fruit forming. In fact the whole thing is lovely ......!

Forgot to say first red fruits have been picked, small but beautiful.

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow. Ripe chillis in April. Enjoy! Have you got a dish in mind to make the most of it?

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow. Ripe chillis in April. Enjoy! Have you got a dish in mind to make the most of it?

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          That is early great going.
      Working...
      X