Nepalese Bell 2
    Pink Habanero 2
    Purple Tiger 1 plus 2 small
    Yellow Starfish 2, one very small

Rocoto Canerio 2
    Rocoto Chocolate (Real Seeds) 2
    Rocoto Costa Rica 5
    Rocoto Giant Red 2
    Rocoto Largo no show, old seed none left.
    Rocoto Manzano Orange Lots! Over sow because old seed (2012 I think)
    Rocoto Marlene 2
    Rocoto Mini Brown 2
    Rocoto Mini Red 2
    Rocoto Orange Locoto 2
    Rocoto Riesen 2
    Rocoto San Pedro Orange 2
    Rocoto Sukanya 0 re-sow
    Rocoto Turbo P. 3

Galina Varieties:
    Sweet peppers mixed - freebie packet with magazine
    Chili Capela
    Chinese 5 colour
    Chocolate Brown Rocoto
    Trinidad Perfume

Plants Over Wintered
    Purple Tiger aka Trifetti
    Serrano Tampiquenoar
    Last edited by clumsy; 23-02-2020, 19:08.

Hope you feel better very soon. I like your not feeling well therapy - sow some seeds!
    Both varieties sound great, I had to look them up as I've not grown either. Lovely looking chillies too and will be a pretty contrast to each other. Grow little seeds. How many plants are you looking to have this year?

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      So far I've used 38 jiffy pellets so 38 so far. Will so more later today depending on the flu.I don't do numbers can be from 60 to highest number I've sowed was 130. When I did 130 it was crazy fitting them in everywhere. The spacing went out of the window I didn't follow any guides you get from a book it was like a jungle in all the greenhouses. I'm one of those people who don't sit there and wonder, like people they won't grow or taste food or experience something because they don't know if they will like it or not.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Even 60 chilli plants are quite some undertaking and must be a sight to behold. I thought you might have been cutting back some.

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Only had 20 jiffy pellets left so decided to use them have plenty of seeds.

Just added 20 seeds more to the list. It's snowing,raining,sleeting outside.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Weather inspiration!

Used all the jiffy pellets 58 + 3 plants started in october. Now wait and see how many germinate.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      They won't be long popping up, the season starts!

Just had a look and they are starting to come alive.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      A good show.

Started to move the one's that have germinated away from the radiator before the heat makes them leggy.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      A lovely sight Clumsy. Thrive little peppers.

​Hope it's OK to join in your thread, Clumsy, and log my pepper growing list. These have been sown over the last couple of weeks, in most cases about three to five seeds each, in either modules or 9cm pots. Most varieties have germinated well. The sweet peppers aren't any particular variety but are listed in with the chillis. At the moment they're growing under my home-made light set-up.

I've not grown anything like as many before. Excited - but hoping to be able to manage the potting on etc.

2019 saved sweet black
    2019 saved sweet red
    2019 saved sweet yellow
    Aji Ahuachapau
    Aji Crystal
    Aji Imbabura
    Ancho grande
    Ancho poblano
    Asti - gold (D'Asti Giallo?)
    Bhut jolokia
    Bhut jolokia chocolate
    Biquinho Red
    Bird (aka Pequin?)
    C pubescens rocoto manzano
    CAP. 271
    CAP.1242
    Champion (CAP 334)
    Chilhuacle Negro
    Fish
    Florian sweet pepper mix
    Habanera chocolate
    Kil tatli (syrek)/ Kil Sweet (rare)
    Lima Market Amarillo
    Morocco
    Ohnivec
    Pasilla Bajío
    Purple Tiger
    Rawit hutan
    White bell pepper​

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8350.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	958.2 KB
ID:	11318

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it will be good to report on progress as the season develops

The seedling to the left is from the next tray along. It's a slightly spindly Clapton F1 cauliflower

I've managed to germinate one Ancho Poblano from the seed you kindly sent me, Jayb. I think the Bhut Jolokia are going to prove perhaps less obliging.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm looking forward to following them, as most are new to me varieties, great to see how they do etc.
      Ahh, I should have got that then, I have some even more spindly calabrese growing by a window...
      Shame about the Bhut Jolokia, I guess you never know how old the seed is before you get it, thanks for giving them the chance.
      Go Ancho Poblano!

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      I always would try and grow as many varieties as possible in any given year. Why wait till next year just squeeze them in anywhere you find the room. I like how people label everything yet me I don't put a label on, I like the mystery to find out which plant is which when they grow.

Added the list to the top so we can always comeback to the first post to show which varieties did what. The Bhut Jolokia needs heat plus it takes little bit longer than other chilli's to germinated. You never know you can't controlled what will or won't germinated.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Great. I feel I'll have to come up to come up to some mark now! No bad thing though.

I'm definitely quite OCD about labelling and don't feel happy when confused.

Thanks for the info about Bhut Jolokia taking longer. I won't give up on it yet.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      You are not the only one. This is what I do too and additionally a diagram of the seed tray (same as you use) with all the names in my gardening book and a tippex mark on the tray top left, so if the labels all go, I still know what is what and which way up in the seed tray. I do not like to be confused either. Two of those trays fit nicely into my propagator.
      Last edited by Galina; 25-02-2020, 06:09.

I'm a bit middle of the road in my choices but they suit. Some were sown 16/1 the remainder end of Jan beginning of Feb. I'll pop the Rocotos up tomorrow

Aji Challuaruro 2
    Aji Llaneron 1, will sow another one or two
    Bishops Hat 2
    Black Hungarian 2
    Blended Lemon 4
    Brazillian Starfish 2, one is small
    Cheiro 2
    El Oro De Ecuador 3
    Jalapeno Brown 4
    Jalapeno Lemon Spice 4
    Jalapeno Mammoth 3
    Nepalese Bell 2
    Pink Habanero 2
    Purple Tiger 1 plus 2 small
    Yellow Starfish 2, one very small

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a good list, though I have to say I'm not familiar with any of them. I have two Aji varieties too. I realised I didn't know the significance of 'aji'. I think it's Spanish for pepper but I don't know whether all aji peppers come from Peru. Certainly some do apparently.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      'I'm starting to feel left out. Normally my list is usually long.'
      But you have a lot of each type, Clumsy. 58 is potentially a lot of plants!

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      I mean varieties, I usually have loads growing. Even potato's usually have a long list of variety's I grow, every year grow different one's.

Few more are germinated. So far 21 out of 58.

Comment

The only pepper so far which two of us are growing is Chocolate Habanero. I have two just germinating, sown 1 February. Quite slow I suppose. I think perhaps habaneros are quite slow to develop generally?

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        The hot one's or spicy one's take time to germinate from experience. Hopefully the will show up.

33 Have germinated so far. But I don't think many more will germinated.

Comment

Late to the party but here goes:
        Sweet peppers mixed - freebie packet with magazine c annuum
        Chili Capela c frutescens
        Chinese 5 colour c annuum
        Chocolate Brown Rocoto c pubescens
        Trinidad Perfume c chinense
        and the plants on the windowsill are still showing some signs of life, so fingers crossed for
        Purple Tiger aka Trifetti c annuum
        Serrano Tampiqueno c annuum
        Last edited by Galina; 25-02-2020, 04:55.

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          I was reeled right in by the word 'perfume'. Just how 'fragrant' can a pepper be? Sounded delicious. One almost without heat. Pink Habanero looks similar, but not as bright yellow. Gorgeous shade of ghostly pink.

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, Trinidad Perfume sounds divine!

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          I very much like the look and sound of Trinidad Perfume too. One for next year perhaps. Must resist for this year!

Here's my Current Rocoto list, it's a bit over the top and I can't see I'm going to have room for all of these.
        Mostly chosen for being on the lower end of the heat scale for Rocotos, we shall see!

Rocoto Canerio 2
        Rocoto Chocolate (Real Seeds) 2
        Rocoto Costa Rica 5
        Rocoto Giant Red 2
        Rocoto Largo no show, old seed none left.
        Rocoto Manzano Orange Lots! Over sow because old seed (2012 I think)
        Rocoto Marlene 2
        Rocoto Mini Brown 2
        Rocoto Mini Red 2
        Rocoto Orange Locoto 2
        Rocoto Riesen 2
        Rocoto San Pedro Orange 2
        Rocoto Sukanya 0 re-sow
        Rocoto Turbo P. 3

Comment

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, I'm not sure where I'll be able to source seeds from after this year so I thought it was now or never.

Sorry, I forgot to include the sow dates. Some were sown 16th Jan and the remainder 1st Feb. Mostly I sowed 2 of each and hoped for one good seedling, Largo I used up the last of my seed and Orange Manzano I was heavy-handed as I didn't expect them to germinate. Costa Rica and Turbo, the seed looked like it had been squashed so sowed 4 or 5. The numbers after the variety name indicate how many germinated.

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, now I understand. Hope you can resow Sukanya, which is very rare as it flowers white to pale purple. Very different from other rocotos.
          Last edited by Galina; 25-02-2020, 06:06.

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a few seeds for Sukanya, I'll probably put them all in and hope. Yes if we get that far I'm looking forward to seeing the flowers.

I have Rocoto Canario too. Until this season it was the only C pubescens I'd grown and having bought the seed on eBay was unsure about the right name. Mine is much more orange than yellow but I received it as Rocoto canario and indeed I think that's what it probably is!
        Sowing it today.

Comment

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it's one I'm not sure if there are multiple varieties under the one name or just varied descriptions. The one I'm growing is meant to be mild, I'm presuming for a Rocoto which will still be hot to me! How hot is your Canario?
          It would be good to compare the two later in the season if all goes well.

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine was mid heat I'd say but I shall monitor more closely this season. I tried to dry it in a dehydrator at the end of the season, but realise now that they're best eaten fresh because they're quite fleshy, so I'll taste test earlier.
          Yes, it will be interesting to compare. taste, colour etc

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a shame they don't dry well but they more than make up for it.
          Yes, fun, though I suspect they are going to be the same!
          I'm still holding out for finding a cooler heat one.
      Working...
      X