No announcement yet.

Sowing Chilli's 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine are still in smallish pots too and rather crowded. They won't have border space as there's none likely to be available.

The greenhouse has everything else in too at the moment, on staging. As soon as I can get more things planted out day by day, I'll be potting them plant by plant into bigger pots for the season. As I write I'm thinking a second greenhouse with borders rather than staging would solve a lot of difficulties! Ah, now there's a thought ........

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I have only borders in the polytunnel which is quite large. That has most of my tomatoes, cucumbers, early sweetcorn, early peas, overwintering calabrese and cauliflower, occasionally a squash or two etc later. But my greenhouse is metal staging with fine gravel, and shelves. It's totally full at the moment so I guess I need that kind of space at convenient working level too.

I agree that grow bag trays are very useful. I have several too, some in the house as yet and a couple in the greenhouse, balancing in odd places where the automatic watering doesn't reach.

But I'm now lusting after having space to plant peppers into a border rather than keep them in pots. Maybe I can squeeze a small number into the poly tunnel. Will be interested to see what difference it makes.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I inherited the greenhouse from my Gran it's around 40 odd years old and all that's left of the original staging is the aluminum frame which runs down one length and across the bottom. It's seen better days, some of the legs get propped up on stones or bricks as some legs have worn on the ends. The boards that formed the bench went about 12 years ago. My set up now is quite basic, I just use removable wooden slats for supporting pots, propagator or growbag trays when I want to use the staging for plant growing/rearing early/late in the season. Then when I want the border space for plants I just take everything out and leave the staging frame for plant support.

I would so love a second greenhouse too!

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like the best of both worlds - with plant supports built in too.

I had the base of my greenhouse concreted years ago, so no going back I fear!

I’ve been sizing up where I might squeeze a second small one in. It’s just about possible but I’ll see how I manage this season. Although I’m growing far more varieties of tomato this year I’m trying to be strong-minded and grow only one or two of each variety and put some outside. I might even be able to find a little space for a few pepper plants in the polytunnel. The juggling continues.....

Have you considered a temporary hoop tunnel, it might be a way to grow some plants in a bed outdoors with the protection of a mini polythene tunnel?

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck finding them all homes. I must admit, the being ruthless is something I struggle with. Too often end up with trying to grow too many, I'm working on it.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that ruthlessness was a one and only probably, and somewhat regretted as I think a few of the remainers suffered in the frost on Monday night. So for once rather over ruthless!

The good part is that I've found space in the poly tunnel after all to plant quite a few peppers in the beds. I'm looking forward to the ease of maintaining them once I sort out the watering. Lovely to let them have their heads.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Always a balance.
      Something I find hard to find.

Greenhouse chillies and peppers on the left coming along, that cold snap has slowed them up somewhat and a couple of the more tender ones leaves are looking a little yellow. Also a few extra trays and pots have managed to sneak in on the path until I find a better spot for them. I didn't fleece last night, which was nice. I've popped a potted variety of Rocoto in the greenhouse which is hopefully isolated enough from the others in the poly-tunnel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	029.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	12601

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      It all looks great. The tomatoes are well forward and very healthy looking too.

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that's a greenhouse I envy. You' re doing great.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you both, just what I need, I've been experiencing a slight confidence growing dip. Last year, growing wise never happened for me and to be honest the last few years for a variety of reasons have been difficult and not much productive growing going on here, I think it was a chance post I read here that got me back wanting to grow. Clumsy your post is awesome to me, as I always have grow envy when I read your posts and take in your natural easy of growing. Thank you guys x

Rocoto San Pedro Orange, the ants seem to like the flowers on this one. This is the Rocoto in the greenhouse with the first few fruits hopefully setting. It's a fairly large-fruited variety ripening to orange. Of medium + Rocoto heat. Hmm, it will probably knock my socks off regardless.

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	12641

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	12642

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm seeing a range of growth types with the different Rocotos I've got growing, I might start a thread on them. I must admit I went overboard on Rocoto varieties this year, I'm really hoping to find a new favourite, I'm just not sure how to manage the taste testing for heat! I wonder if you can buy a Scoville meter?
      I haven't noticed any damage from the ants as such, I did wonder at first if they were aphid farming, but I can't see any signs.

Brilliant, it must be warming up nicely for you to be planting out your chillies.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot to add, in the greenhouse

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ant's and aphids farming. Looking good still only may bumper harvest could be on the cards?

Understanding the different Capsicum species and then, within that, the local or national names is quite challenging I’m finding!
    I’m growing two Capsicum pubescens varieties which don’t carry the name Rocoto. One is Lima Market Amarillo and the CAP1242. They both came from the South Lincs Chilli Boys who no longer operate. They are young plants yet but LMA in particular has a rocoto type leaf though so far it seems quite a small compact plant.
    As rocoto is apparently a Peruvian name, I guess I can think of these two peppers as rocoto?

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Seen a photo of LMA and apart from being yellow, it does look very similar to Alberto Locoto. Btw I understand that R ocoto and L ocoto are the same name, just to add to the confusion.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting.
      On the rocoto/locoto/manzano nomenclature, Wikipedia says that Capsicim pubescens "is known in Peru and Ecuador as rocoto (Quechua,[3][4] rukutu, ruqutu'), locoto in Bolivia and Argentina (Aymara,[5] luqutu)[6] and as the manzano pepper in Mexico " (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_pubescens) so that would suggest, as you say, that rococo and locoto are the same - and indeed manzano - but suggest different countries of origin.

I don't know how reliable those distinctions are.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, I'm not adding anything just that's pretty much what I've picked up about them too.

My Chillis are not as advanced, as I was late this year Growing some favourites but some new ones too
    Aji Fantasy
    Aji Habanero
    Aji Jobito
    Aji Mango
    Ancho Poblano
    Yellow Blended Lemon
    El Oro De Ecuador
    Ramiro yellow
    Jalapeno Early
    Aji Charapita
    Bulgarian Carrot
    Purple Jalapeno
    Biquinho

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovely selection. I've grown/growing a few of your varieties, the remainder I had to lookup. Aji Mango sounds amazing

My "Sulky" Rocoto is finally starting to make progress

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	12704

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Sukanya coming good after all. That is good news.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      You are all putting me to shame. But great news all around on progress. Are your chilis ok Clumsy or did they get damaged in the greenhouse?

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if it will be tricksy throughout.
      No chance Galina, it's not the earlier starting but the growing that is important

Can I pick your brains regards heights of these varieties in your experience. Some variations online and need to put some on staging - so height significant

Aji Habanero 18-24 Inches?
    Ancho Poblano 69cm
    Ramiro yellow ??
    Jalapeno Early 24inch
    Bulgarian Carrot 24 inches

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      The only one I can comment on is Ancho Poblano which I'm also growing. It's early days but the signs are that it will be quite compact.
      Apart from Ramiro Yellow, goning by what you've found online, it looks like all your varieties stop at 2 feet. Can you accommodate that on your staging?

Be good if 24 inches because then I I can Grow on staging - what confuses me is some Jalapeno Early and Ancho 3feet.

Edit to add. I am a plonker. Plants I save from have Ancho Grande on original label but had read 24 inches on my notes but sites say 36inches...realise 24 inches is spread
    Last edited by Hector1; 22-05-2020, 18:01.

Comment

I grew Ancho Grande last year and I'm sure it reached nowhere near 36". But maybe my plants were a bit stunted!

Comment

Same...I was certain it was closer to 2 feet.

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          I grew Ancho Grande in a polytunnel border and another in a pot in my greenhouse. The polytunnel plant did reach 3’ after all whereas the pot grown plant remained more compact.
          How did you get on, Hector?

Harvest from the chilli's.

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          They look wonderful. Bet you are pleased. Hope everything is ok with you and family.

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely pleased with very little effort just watering and nothing else. Parents in and out of hospital. took dad two weeks aga to ambulatory care to a warfarin injection due to a blood clot.

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Very anxious times for you, but sounds like at least you’ve all avoided the virus over this difficult period. Fingers crossed your care continues to protect you all from that.

Hi clumsy, great to see you around! Congrats on the chili haul. The ones on the left look like some kind of scotch bonnet/habanero? What are the pretty little orange ones?

Comment

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes the one's on the left were the seeds from jayb chocolate habanero/ Trinidad moruga mixed in the box also. The orange one's honestly I can't remember I never wrote the name down. Still have few other's the harvest.

Great harvest. I’m interested in what you’re planning to do with them all.

What’s the situation with your damaged greenhouse now?

Comment

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          Just going to freeze them and use one chilli at a time in all dishes nothing complicated this year. The greenhouse is on the waiting list.

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds sensible. Did those orange ones ripen out of doors?

• clumsy
          clumsy commented
          Editing a comment
          Kind of they were semi outside considering the greenhouse damage. Tomato's only got about a kilo or so, but the mini cucumber plant only had one did very well.
      Working...
      X