Over-Wintered Chillies and Peppers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-Wintered Chillies and Peppers.

I've had several non planned for survivors this last winter all from the greenhouse. What a difference a mild winter with no harsh frosts makes. Some are looking perkier than others but I can see several are just starting to sprout. I did pop the small rocoto in the propagator for a few weeks, which has helped it leaf up no end, it's back out in the greenhouse and I'm pretty sure I can see a couple of very small flower buds forming. I initially had intended to overwinter some plants but then rather abandoned the greenhouse this last winter, so it's amazing anything has survived with no water for months!
    Anyone else had any planned or otherwise successes from last year?

Here's my little rocoto plant, not sure which one as I pulled all the labels out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	048.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	5697

Our Rocoto survived previous winter as it was moved into a spot near patio window. I killed it with accidental neglect this winter when daughter was ill/ we were preoccupied.
    What did survive was a patio chilli ....not sure what variety...maybe Basket of Fire, in office at work.
    Last edited by Hector1; 25-04-2016, 21:23.

Comment

The only survivor this year is a Piquante pepper plant, still from the seeds in the magic seed parcel from Jeannine. I put seeds from it into the 2014 seed circle, when the plant was one year old (didn't produce much the first year). It lives in a large bucket in the conservatory over winter and has just started producing new leaves. Would be nice to get another harvest. I had an Alberto Locoto survive in the greenhouse a couple of years ago. It was loaded with fruit the second year. But died in the much colder winter 2014/15. These were so big, I could not dig them up, or maybe if I had pruned them right down. They were as tall as I am. I had hoped to get the lovely Aji Fantasy through winter (seeds from goodlife), nothing doing unfortunately, and they are tricky to save seeds from and tricky to germinate. Pity.
      Last edited by Galina; 22-05-2016, 09:15. Reason: made mistake - the bucket is in the conservatory over winter, would possibly not survive in the greenhouse

Comment

I have Aji Fantasy seed but no room to grow this time round...so if you want a bit, shout.
        I would love a huge polytunnel and fill with chillis.

Comment

Thank you Hector, I think I still have some seeds, took as many as I could last year and sowed the last from goodlife which didn't make it. Yes I also have poly - envy! I have 3 greenhouses, all 6x8s but it isn't the same.

Comment

Agree, Aji Fantasy are lovely, I've not had much problem in the past germinating them, but not much luck saving seed from them. Perhaps one to pencil in for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
              The only survivor this year is a Piquante pepper plant, still from the seeds in the magic seed parcel from Jeannine. I put seeds from it into the 2014 seed circle, when the plant was one year old (didn't produce much the first year). It lives in a large bucket in the greenhouse over winter and has just started producing new leaves. Would be nice to get another harvest. I had an Alberto Locoto survive in the greenhouse a couple of years ago. It was loaded with fruit the second year. But died in the much colder winter 2014/15. These were so big, I could not dig them up, or maybe if I had pruned them right down. They were as tall as I am. I had hoped to get the lovely Aji Fantasy through winter (seeds from goodlife), nothing doing unfortunately, and they are tricky to save seeds from and tricky to germinate. Pity.
              Those Piquante peppers are just lovely I wish I'd tried to overwinter mine now
              Trouble is space is usually a premium and I don't often winter well either!

Comment

My little over wintered Rocoto has started to flower yayyy
                Spotted a few greenfly on the plant, need some ladybirds but can't find any. Always the way!

Name:	023.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	5928

Another Greenhouse survivor finally starting to leaf up. I'm not 100% sure what this one is, possibly Prairie Fire?

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	5929

Comment

My only sweet pepper to survive the winter, mostly stalk with a couple of old leaves hanging on and at last some new little leaves showing. It's a grafted Britney F1.

Name:	018-001.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	5931

Comment

Prairie Fire ? is not just leafing up, but also has buds. Not long and you will get a better idea which one it is from the fruit. Nice that the expensive grafted pepper survived too. Here in the UK they are really squeezed to perform well in one season. We either need to learn much more efficiently how to survive them over winter or develop really early varieties.

Comment

I've bought grafted peppers the last couple of years and agree they are way expensive, but they really do deliver. I keep meaning to get organised and try grafting my own... next year.

Perhaps with a little care they could successfully be overwintered, which would make them a lot more cost effective, if they can go on to have a productive 2nd + season.

Too right it is a shame peppers and chillies can't be gotten going sooner in the year to take full advantage of our shortish summer.

Comment

I think I might have a Bhut jolokia starting to leaf up too, though I'm not sure if that is the variety, someone managed to pull out all the labels!

Comment

I'm just trying to think what else I was growing with up facing fruits last year, this little one is looking more likely that it is Praire Fire? Any other ideas? It's a really small compact plant and the first few fruits do look to be yellow.

Name:	007.JPG
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	6200

Comment

This is the one I think might be a Bhut jolokia, way way too hot for me, but fun to grow. It's too soon to get a real idea what it is, starting to put out a nice amount of leaf, no sign of flowers yet.

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	6202

Comment

Britney F1 is making progress, good to see some flower buds, nice bonus if she does well

Name:	011.JPG
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	6204

Comment

Working...
                              X