Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberto's Locoto Rocoto

I love these
    In a good year these are too hot for me really, if I'm honest, but sometimes with a murky weather year they are just about manageable to me! I'm sure I've mentioned I'm a bit of a lightweight with 'hot', I guess others manage them just fine?
    Although they can be a little tricksy sometimes to germinate, I like how once they get going they are really easy, apart from they get BIG! I originally had my seeds from Real Seed Company and I have been growing and saving seeds on and off for several years. Must admit I've still got a freezer loaded with various rocotos, so I don't really need to be growing them, I just think they are rather nice and the plants look so lovely loaded up with fruit.

I had a little dropsy moment with some of my seedlings, so this may not be gospel, but these should be my little Alberto's (some were mixed with Largo)

Click image for larger version  Name:	028-001.JPG Views:	1 Size:	155.1 KB ID:	5699

Any other fans of these?
    Last edited by jayb; 09-06-2017, 09:56.

I have five in the greenhouse...lov them

Comment

Hah! They are good aren't they

Mine are just babes, sown in March, but hopefully if I can avoid toasting them...... there should be pretty red fruit later this year. Largo are bigger fruited so if I've made any mistakes I can pick them up later, might end up with some crossed flowers though.

Five, eek that is some chilli addiction! What do you do with all the fruits?

Comment

With Rocoto we freeze as skin too thick for drying...at least for me. Other chillis I dry and save or dry and powder I'm wanting to try and make a sauce or two this year

Comment

Yes, also freeze here. Half a one (deseeded) is just adding a nice fruity hottish flavour to dishes. And they freeze well as halves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hector1 View Post
            With Rocoto we freeze as skin too thick for drying...at least for me. Other chillis I dry and save or dry and powder I'm wanting to try and make a sauce or two this year
            Same here they just seem too fleshy to dry with any success, freezing does seem the way to go. I had thought to mince some and pickle them in vinegar, but I've not got around to it... yet.

What type sauces are you thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
              Yes, also freeze here. Half a one (deseeded) is just adding a nice fruity hottish flavour to dishes. And they freeze well as halves.
              Now I'd find a half a rocoto in a dish hot not hottish! I wonder if I will ever get my chillie legs?!

Comment

Missed you asking re sauce....we like them in with .....chopped onions caramelised....black beans....sweetcorn....cup or two some home made salsa....all in a big pot.

reduce and have as a wrap in Tortillas with home made yoghurt and grated cheese and rice.....guacamole and nachos...

forgot to say....I add mushroom ketchup ( amazing stuff) and a teaspoon of this......wonderful thing Smokey flavour.....addicted to it.
                https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                Last edited by Hector1; 05-06-2017, 19:32.

Comment

That sounds lovely, will have to give it a go

I've only used mushroom ketchup a few times and was really disappointed by it, it was ages ago perhaps I should have another dabble.

Those sauces are mum's favorites, she just loves the Chilli Paste, chilli ketchup and mayo!

Comment

i can understand your Mum loving those I must try the chilli ketchup.

In a big pot I use two tablespoons of mushroom ketchup

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Yes that looks pretty much like what I used, though it is a good few years back. Perhaps I added too much to the dishes.

Comment

Working...
                      X