Lantern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lantern

Another lovely variety I had from Real Seeds, it's quite an unusual looking plant and quite striking throughout, but particularly when carrying it's lovely load of little lanterns. I was lucky enough to harvest enough seeds last year to share with the seed circle, I've copied the info I added from http://seedsaverscircle.org/seed-cir...er-group-2015/

Lantern(Capsicum chinense) – A pretty chilli plant which makes a nice shape, the stems can look quite dark purple which contrasts beautifully with the green foliage. The plants set lots of little green lantern parcels which ripen to a vibrant orange. Quite a fiery chilli and a nice size for using, the cut ripe fruits have a delicious fruity aroma. Easy to grow and I’ve found they will overwinter with little trouble. I bought this variety several years ago from Real Seeds, I’ve not seen it listed the last few years and no further history was given.

My little seedlings, lagging behind the other varieties, I'd forgotten they are slow to get going.

Click image for larger version

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	5703

Have also little seedlings from your seeds Jayb and looking forward to them. The photo with the lanterns was just too tempting! Great news that they will overwinter too. If they are slow the first year, then the main harvest will be the second year. I wonder whether peppers in the UK often need to adjust to the cooler conditions that they don't really like. But once they are fully grown plants, they finally get on with it and produce. Just wish the c annuum, especially the sweet peppers, were better at surviving. Even with starting very early in spring, it often feels like peppers don't really get going fully before the end of the season even in the greenhouse. Unfortunately I only sowed mid-February this year, a little late for peppers. Will see how it works out. These lanterns are something to look forward to and I will treat them well.

Comment

Somehow a tiny slug got in my light box and ate my tiny Lantern seedlings.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Shame, can spare you a couple if you would like.

Originally posted by Silverleaf View Post
      Somehow a tiny slug got in my light box and ate my tiny Lantern seedlings.
      That's darn right rude!
      Do you think it had been lurking in the compost or perhaps a seed tray/pot?

Comment

• Silverleaf
        Silverleaf commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably hid under the rim of a pot, I guess.

Originally posted by Galina View Post
      Have also little seedlings from your seeds Jayb and looking forward to them. The photo with the lanterns was just too tempting! Great news that they will overwinter too. If they are slow the first year, then the main harvest will be the second year. I wonder whether peppers in the UK often need to adjust to the cooler conditions that they don't really like. But once they are fully grown plants, they finally get on with it and produce. Just wish the c annuum, especially the sweet peppers, were better at surviving. Even with starting very early in spring, it often feels like peppers don't really get going fully before the end of the season even in the greenhouse. Unfortunately I only sowed mid-February this year, a little late for peppers. Will see how it works out. These lanterns are something to look forward to and I will treat them well.

They are cute fruits
      I've noticed that too, aubergines as well, they are just ramping up production as daylight and temps are dropping! My chillies and aubs didn't get sown until March!

Comment

Silverleaf, have potted them up now, but offer still stands.

Comment

Ooh, I missed this! That sounds lovely Galina, thank you so much.

Comment

• Silverleaf
            Silverleaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Yay, two lovely little chillies arrived safely today! Thanks again Galina.

• Galina
            Galina commented
            Editing a comment
            You are welcome.

• jayb
            jayb commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad you had some to share, blooming slugs obliterated my spares!
        Working...
        X