First chilli of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First chilli of the year

This is the first chilli I have harvested. The second picture slightly blurry are another 2 growing. Before someone asks the variety name I haven't a clue just saved seeds I been using for a while.

Crikey, that is quick when did you sow that one?

Comment

Fab, they look good. I love the shape of the longer fruited one. Looks like they will have a nice kick to them. I've got a couple of Jalapeno (cheap rejects from B&Q) that I bought ages back and have brought on and they have some nice sized fruits on now. Some of my seed sown ones, in March, have buds, but will be a long wait yet for fruit. Ditto above, when did you sow?

Comment

Were these from your January sown ones? That's quick. But not surprising if they are well adapted from seeds you have grown and harvested for a while. Excellent .

I have several Basket of Fire plants as house plants (not sure whether they are hybrid or not) and one is getting ready to flower. Yours is way ahead. Happy cooking and congratulations !

Comment

• Chris11
          Chris11 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm pretty sure Basket of Fire is an F1.

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Chris, yes they definitely are as I found out last year. But there were several plants that were every bit as good as the hybrid and very similar too. It was worth growing them.

Yes these were from january sown ones. Hopefully I will add more pictures of other chilli plants tomorrow. Got a few that have small chilli's on them. I think I just got lucky they started to flower early and the weather being unpredictable has not effected them to much in unheated greenhouses.

Comment

That's super. I want to try early sowing nest season. Look forward to photos

Comment

Early is the key, I've been quite late sowing (march) the last couple of years and they do seem to take forever in comparison. I'll have to get in gear earlier next year.
            Do you overwinter any plants clumsy?

Comment

There is a big difference between varieties as well. My most advanced is a chili too, a seedling from Basket of Fire. But at the moment it is only just flowering. However I started off a good month later than you did Clumsy, so no surprise there. Alberto Locoto and Lantern Chili are still a long way off flowering. I guess these will come into their own next year. But hope to have our first chilis too in a month or so. The freezer bag with the frozen chilis is getting light, so I am also looking forward to our first ones.

Comment

Yes sometimes I do overwinter plants just for fun. I have one in the house will take a photo to show.

Comment

Do you keep it more as a house plant?

I never seem to have space to over winter some in the house, they have to take pot luck out in the greenhouse.

Comment

Lemon Drop is developing flowers now too, also still on the windowsill.

Comment

My first flowers have appeared One Monkeyface chill as and two Basque chillis are about to flower. I love when chillis kick into action

Comment

Great! I never noticed before how much quicker chilis are than sweet peppers? Is there a really early sweet pepper?

Comment

Galina, I don't have a lot of experience of different sweet pepper varieties. However, a mild chilli I grew two years ago was pretty productive for me in what was a short/poor summer.. I would happily grow it again
                          http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/V...12.htm#CMRTabs

Comment

• Galina
                            Galina commented
                            Editing a comment
                            thank you for the recommendation Hector.

You are welcome...it's really tasty! I'm now asking myself why I didn't grow it this year!

Comment

Working...
                          X