No announcement yet.

First chilli of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the progress on some of the chilli.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      The one in the third picture, is it bicolour or striped? Good looking plants obviously well cared for. Today I have seen the first flower buds, We seem to be quite a way behind you. Thanks for showing us.

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      The only reason I might be ahead is that the chilli's I start very early in the year.

The one in the third picture is going to turn red later. If you look a the picture the chilli near the bottom has changed fully from green to black, Added a picture from one of the greenhouse at home.

Comment

Beautiful looking plants again this year and lots of different types! Yes those chillies in the third picture are really lovely to look at, the purple ones too look great.

Your greenhouse looks awesome wish mine were half as tidy!

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to your progress. I've a few bought plants which are flowering, the furthest on (grafted plant) has some chilies just turning red which makes me smile. But the plants I'm growing from seed were sown late and have had a few mishaps along the way! One variety Caldero F6 or 7 has the first flower buds which is encouraging

Comment

• clumsy
        clumsy commented
        Editing a comment
        The purple one's are from the seed savers Pretty in Purple I think. Plus I'm also growing the Chilli Biquinho which has some chilli's on it. I'll take a photo later to show.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I thought they were Pretty in Purple

In the other greenhouse/shed at home The plants that I grow in flower buckets seem to get bigger grown compost.

Comment

Oh the Chilli Biquinho looks so cute , I've a couple of plants growing too from the seed circle but they are still quite small. Beautiful lush looking plants, you have an amazing touch with them. Perhaps the feed levels are just a little different or the home grown ones have just had slightly better (warmth) growing conditions, the compost in the black buckets perhaps warms faster absorbing the heat from the sun.

Comment

Some more photo's of more chillies coming on. Plus first time growing rocoto peppers one plant has got some flowers on it, the leaves are very soft and different from other chilli plants.

Comment

Yes and so are the flowers. Love rocotos. The chillis are hot but taste fruity and even I manage to get the plants to survive over winter

Comment

Lovely pictures
              Another Rocoto lover here (though in all honesty I find them too hot hot, but I'm working on it!) They produce masses of lovely shiny fruit which freeze well if you have too many. I've a few Rocoto varieties this year, all young plants just starting to flower which is a good recovery considering they were late sown and then I managed to all but kill them.

Comment

I don't mind them being hot as long as the flavour is good. Do they cross with other chilli's?

Comment

• Galina
                  Galina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They are capsicum pubescens and can only cross with other pubescens varieties. They won't cross with any other pepper species. If none of your other peppers are purple flowered pubescent peppers, then you can be sure that there won't be any crossing. A bit more information about pubescens: http://www.worldofchillies.com/Chill...Pubescens.html

As Galina says they only cross pollinate within pubescens group so are great for seed saving if you only have the one variety as no need to bag or isolate

Comment

First chili here is Trepadeira Werner in the greenhouse. Second year plants.

Comment

I love the pale fruits, just so pretty amongst the foliage. I think that's partly why I like caldero so much.

Comment

• Galina
                      Galina commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes and really quite mild too. Perhaps best added to salad, sliced finely. I used the first one in cooking and the flavour got a bit lost. Would have needed a handful I think. Not a hot chili used white. .Maybe hotter when they turn red. But yes, very pretty and doing well.

Rocoto chilli starting to form.

Comment

Wish mine did, slow and with this weather not much progress in the last couple of weeks.

Comment

• clumsy
                        clumsy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The weather is very changeable at the moment. The one's the pots are ahead while the other's planted direct in the soil are behind. Still there's time for them to produce finger's crossed.
                    Working...
                    X