Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gluing Chilli Flowers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gluing Chilli Flowers

    Why?

    Using pva glue to seal buds shut before they can be cross pollinated by insects is one way to ensure varieties can be saved from seeds. I've pinched some of this from my blog (https://growingfoodsavingseeds.blogspot.co.uk/)

    First select suitable flower candidates. In the picture below the lower big fat plump flower looks just ready to burst its petals open, whereas the slightly smaller flower above looks like it will be a couple of days before opening and needs a little longer to develop.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	051.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	6160


    Next for the glue, I'm starting with a little dab in several places on the flower before spreading them out to cover all the petals, but I'm sure there are several good ways to apply a good coat?

    Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	6161


    Here you cans see the flower buds with their newly applied pva coat, still wet.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	079.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	6162


    You can see start to see the petals below as the glue dries to a dull see through coat. I've applied two coats of glue to make sure there is a good covering, if it is too thin the buds will burst the glue and be able to open. It's good to have a little extra glue at the bottom of the petals, it helps to add strength.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	067.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	6163


    Five days later the bud is at it's maximum size pushing against the glue, but the petals remain closed. The glue coat appears to be good for catching greenfly too!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	6164


    In another three days, the flowers are fading and the chilli fruit forming is already splitting the glue coated flower and pushing it off. The red thread has been applied to the selfed fruits in order to identify them later on and avoid eating them by accident. It is best to mark them before or as you mark them, glued buds can be hard to spot as the glue dries clear.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	6165
    Last edited by jayb; 09-06-2016, 06:46. Reason: Pictures

  • #2
    Thank you for this. I'll try this.

    Comment


    • #3
      Can't see the photos, so went to your blog. Very good explanation and as usual, brilliant photos.

      Strikes me that pendulous flowers are particularly difficult to glue, more upright flowers must be easier.

      Thanks Jayb - another brilliant 'how to' tutorial.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've reloaded the pictures, hope they show up for you this time.
        Thanks

        Comment


        • Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          All fine here now. Super job!

      • #5
        Originally posted by Hector1 View Post
        Thank you for this. I'll try this.
        Great, I'd love to know how you get on with it.

        Comment


        • Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          I have always used flower bags (blossom bags), but the sheer elegance of this method is obvious. Me three will try it
          Last edited by Galina; 09-06-2016, 15:09.

        • jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never really got on much with bagging blossoms, doesn't seems to work very well for me plus I find it fiddly. So is using the glue but it's easy enough to do a couple each morning and job done. Let us know what you think, love to know which way you prefer.

      • #6
        I've bought some pva and will practice with some selfs. I'll take pictures thanks again for this, really informative.

        Comment


        • #7
          Great glueing that was quick, here's to lots of lovely chilli seeds! Looking forward to the pictures

          Comment


          • #8
            Picture update for the Jalapeno progress now at I think day 12 from glueing.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	6206

            Comment


            • #9
              This is starting to get addictive! I've been using pva as well on Zimbabwe Black, possible Prarie Fire, Pink Habanero, Caldero o/p, Purple Tiger and Santa Fe Grande.

              Comment


              • #10
                Well...I've been glueing and can now add a tip.........do NOT wear open toed sandals if doing this with one with a brush lid......

                Comment


                • Galina
                  Galina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can imagine ...........................

                  I have found dipping easier than painting on. My newly bought bottle is full and makes dipping easy.

              • #11
                Now that would have been the smart way to do it

                Comment

                Working...
                X