Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoya Peppers

I've been meaning to post about these for ages;
    These caught my eye last year when they were in the press, gorgeous stripy sweet peppers how good would that be. I kept looking in asda supermarket as they were the ones selling them in the uk, but didn't see any
    But this year I was lucky enough to spot some in our local store, so I bought three, nice tasty peppers that look oh so stunning. Needless to say I saved seed from these and sowed a few seeds though it really was too late for sowing. The plants have grown on quite well though the wet gloomy weather we have had hasn't given the best conditions and there's some mold in the greenhouse - not good. I've some green small fruits set and they are hanging in there despite my growers neglect.

What's more exciting is another Enjoya grower has been posting on my blog and she has fruits just starting to change colour

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	6907

Name:	030.JPG
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	6908

Name:	IMG_4282.JPG
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	6914

Ok, I joined so you could see the photos. :-) Here they are, so far it's no positive indication that they will grow true, but, at least now there is hope, I've never seen a pepper do this before, but then again, they could just turn solid yellow. Fingers are crossed.
    Last edited by pamj; 22-09-2016, 20:59.

Comment

Here's another angle.
      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome PAMJ, and fingers crossed for stripes. And of course for the flavour as well. Pity these are a bit late developing. Would be quite something, if they breed true.

Comment

Oh they are so pretty Your plants look great and I'm sure I can see hints of red in the yellow? Exciting, I can't help but wonder....

The fruit I had from the store, also had some green on them, from the look of yours, I think it possible they will turn ripe showing all three colours too. Fingers crossed for stripy streaks

Comment

Pamj and Jayb what are they doing now? Hopefully red stripes and 'flames' have been appearing.

Comment

Sorry to have not responded sooner, had surgery Sept. 26 so I've been out awhile. And update, 5 plants, all have at least one fruit, all fruit has, or is turning yellow. Yesterday I would have said that I had given up hope on them getting red stripes, but today, it looks like the oldest fruit is getting some discoloration on it that might be the beginnings of stripes. This photo is it's bottom.
              Last edited by pamj; 11-10-2016, 20:33.

Comment

I agree with that Pamj, thank you for showing us, definitely stripes. Now let's hope they will change to red. They look like they might be purple? Very intriguing! Definitely not just solid yellow. Hope you are well recovered and have got over the surgery Pamj. This is getting exciting.

Comment

It's official, the one in the photo is now getting quite soft. So, it looks to be a yellow bell pepper. I'll watch the other 4 plants, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Comment

Oh that's a shame Pam.

Comment

Pam, I know it is very late in the year now, but did the 4 other fruits do anything?

Just musing aloud here, but with Aji Lemon having a tendency for stripes as well as Fish Pepper (although this is variegation rather than stripes), it may not be such an unusual trait. I read facebook accounts that Enjoya is actually a true breeding mutation which happened in Canada ?! I am sure that easy to grow striped sweet peppers will only be a few years away, even if growing Enjoya seeds isn't going to be very successful for any but the most green-fingered.

Comment

Just thinking aloud Pam, what if your yellow pepper which had lost its stripes contains F2 seeds (if Enjoya is indeed an F1). Generally the F2 generation after a cross is the generation where most diversity comes to the fore. For example plain peppers of both colours as well as striped ones. I know, it's probably a long shot.

Hope you are fully well after your surgery.

Comment

Working...
                        X