No announcement yet.

Enjoya Peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope they recover....at first I read that as cooked in a dish versus got warm.

it would be terrific if you could get a stripey one.

Comment

Lol, yes reading it back it does sound that way! I don't think there will be any stripy ones, but something else interesting might turn up though it is a remote chance.

Comment

I planted 10 Enjoya seeds in February 2017 in my greenhouse, from a beautiful specimen fruit I purchased at Whole Foods here in central Virginia in the fall of 2016, and properly saved the seeds. Took about 3 weeks until 4 of the seeds germinated! No other germinations (and I gave up on addition germinations July 1st, 2017). The four that popped up were the slowest sweet pepper plants I have ever started, but I moved them out about June 20th after hardening off. One died but the other 3 hung in there, and by August 1st they were about 14 to 16 inches tall and I noticed each plant had 2 or 3 tiny infant peppers. By the 3rd weekend (HOT, zone 7a) in August the plants maxed out at 18 - 19 inches tall, and the little peppers were still green and the three largest were about the size of a golf ball. None eventually achieved the size of a baseball and by mid-Sept all had 2 or 3 shades of orange splotching - random and appeared relative to the amount of direct sunlight received. Anyway, this past year was very disappointing compared to the unique (and sweet, juicy, tasty) fruit I purchased. I saved about 20 seeds, none of my fruit had many seeds, and I will try again this year. In fact, I will sow the seeds about 1/20/2018 this year. In final, my plants received a moderate amount of blue label Neptune’s Harvest via a foliage spray starting 2 weeks after transplant and every three weeks thereafter. Well, there's some info - maybe it will help someone. I remain open to any suggestions. Good luck to all that try this one themselves!

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Well you have more favourable climate than we have Organic and still it wasn't easy and disappointing. These are a hard nut to crack. Clearly a hybrid. Although good that you saw more than one colour. Good luck for this year. I am not familiar with Neptun's Harvest, but it sounds like you took very good care of them. Maybe you get a gem in this generation. Let's hope so.

Hi,
        i just joined this forum, to post on this thread..
        i got some enjoya seeds off Chris (who posted earlier on in this thread) and sowed them in march. Up till now, they are very slow growing. I will keep everyone updated.
        cheers,
        Chris.

Comment

Welcome Chris Beech. Hopefully jayb will be around and see her influence and generosity has spread far and wide.
          (Chris is also growing Cascade Lava tomatoes from seeds saved by me, descended from seedlings sent to me by jayb)

Comment

Welcome Chris and hope your peppers will be a success even though they have a bit of a slow start.

Comment

Welcome chris will follow the thread with interest. Cascade Lava tomatoes had to google them they do look interesting also.

Comment

I'd love to hear an update how you got on. Cascade lava too

Comment

I've just been catching up with these here, thank you to everyone who posted. Also over the pond on a long thread at Tomatoville http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41113 and Darren Abbey's awesome blog http://the-biologist-is-in.blogspot....ya-pepper.html

I decided to grow a few Enjoya M2 this year, I still have seed from the original fruits I bought a few years back, I've not seen them for sale since.
                  Germination wasn't great but I have 5 nice little seedlings growing, I'll probably sow a some more in a few weeks time for a slightly later planting. Although the chances of a stripped pepper are pretty close to zero if not lower, they seem to produce nice type plants with decent yellow fruit. I'm aiming to save seed from some of these if possible and perhaps make a cross or two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	060.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	11413

Comment

My little Enjoya plants are forming their first buds, this one shows some variegation in the leaves, though this is faint and it may not be very visible in the picture. I don't remember having any with variegation in the ones I've sown previously. Enjoya seeds are all throwing slightly different plants, I think the one common trait is ripening to yellow.

Name:	029.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	11645

Comment

• Jang
                      Jang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very exciting. Variegated leaves and striped fruit would be a jackpot!
                      Such a strong-looking plant. Interesting that your offspring seem to have progressed well given the difficulties or slow progress others on this thread have had.
                      Looking forward to following this plant’s progress.

• Galina
                      Galina commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The photo above shows the variegation better, bottom left plant. This bodes well for the fruit, hopefully.

• jayb
                      jayb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That would be a major jackpot, but sadly it seems very unlikely, still, there is always hope even if it is a dusty little ray. Yes, they're seeming to be keener than I remember, perhaps they like indoor under lights? I've sown a few more as the seed is not getting any younger.

Galina, I wish, but I'm not hopeful. The variation pattern isn't quite right, I'm not sure it will reproduce from seed. I have a couple of variegated sweet peppers growing and a chilli or two so making a few trial crosses might be in order.

I've five plants growing from the earlier sowing, four were planted into the greenhouse border yesterday, the one with slight variegation I've left in a pot, it's pictured below. All are flowering and one fruit has set (I hope). I also sowed another batch of Enjoya seeds and I have around 12 seedlings potted on individually and growing on, currently under lights in the house. Again one seedling in this batch is showing small patches of variegation, not particularly strongly but noticeable.

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	543.9 KB
ID:	12032

Comment

• Jang
                      Jang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Fingers crossed for an interesting fruit.

How exciting,

Comment

• jayb
                      jayb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think I must just be a plant saddo!

• Jang
                      Jang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think you're in good company then!

• jayb
                      jayb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ha!
                      Yes very good company

Enjoyas are doing well, the 5 plants are all that litt;e bit different from each other. Pictures are the 4 planted in the greenhouse border.

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	12605

Name:	016.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	12606

Name:	019.JPG