Aji Limon, Lemon Drop Chili, capsicum baccatum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aji Limon, Lemon Drop Chili, capsicum baccatum

Another super pepper from the baccatum tribe. Easy enough to grow, but I did not get high yields here unfortunately. Never mind. The peppers make up for it. As the name implies, there is a lemony flavour together with not too much heat. They start off green, then pale yellow, ripen to a proper lemon yellow, occasionally with faint purple stripes. I was very lucky to get these stripes on one of my fruits. This is only the first year I have grown these, so not much experience, but I loved them.

I am hoping to get the plants through winter for a bumper crop next year - fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Galina; 16-11-2016, 10:32.

Should be able to over winter the plant. You can cut it down and also you can trim the roots and plant it in new compost if you wanted to. They just need a bit of warmth and bit of light to see them through. The bumper crop depends on the weather we will have next year.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Clumsy. At the moment they are looking alive, but I had to do battle with aphids again. A few days ago when we had the higher night time temperatures I had them outside for a couple of days, now back in the frost-free conservatory. And the wind and rain on them outside helped more than last time when I had them in the bath tub and dunked into an insecticidal soap solution. That effort caused a messy clear-up
      I hope they will get through winter. I will certainly give them fresh compost in spring. I did trim them before taking them in.

Im growing this variety this season...growing strongly, so quite excited. Sounds ideal for salsa

Comment

Did they over-winter for you Galina?

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        No unfortunately they did not.

In 2017 season I've had a really good Aji Pineapple plant, which may or not be the same, or at least very similar to Lemon Drop. Will save seed, and also try and overwinter the plant. Will definitely be growing again, and if I find room, will try and grow alongside a Lemon Drop.

Only other baccatum I've grown so far is a Bishops Hat.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes they look similar, but are listed as separate varieties.
    Working...
    X