Galina's tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galina's tomatoes

Potato Leaf White. Lovely PL beefsteak variety.

Pink Icicle - what a beauty and tastes good too. (Thanks Jayb)
    Last edited by Galina; 09-10-2014, 08:41.

Comment

3 pointy tomatoes - love the shape - l to r 2x Pink Icicle, Orange Banana
      Last edited by Galina; 09-10-2014, 08:42. Reason: OOps - Got the name wrong, Pink Ice is a pink plum, the one on the left must be a small Pink Icicle.

Comment

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, love the shapes, they look great. What's the history/source of Pink Ice? I've seen a cherry type with that name on I think Tradewinds site, but that was round.

Pretty!

Comment

OOps, you are right. I got the wrong tomato. Sorry my mistake. Pink Ice is plum shaped, not pointy and not round..

Pink Ice was one of the varieties from the Internet Tomato Trials of 1999 and 2000. We got seeds with a code letter and number, grew and reported back on mystery tomatoes. After we sent our reports back (via the internet, which was pretty novel then and made worldwide participation possible), we were told what the varieties were. This was the final description I got.
        E. Pink Ice - Open Pollinated; Indeterminate; Salad-type; Pink; 70
        days to maturity. Tall rampant vines. High producing. Great to cut in
        half and dry. Early producer.

Can't find any mention of the original seed source.. Have to have another dig in the archives. Most of my seeds were from Sandhill or Tim Peters, who had a seed company at that time. Shape is a small plum. I made a mistake in the picture above - probably another Pink Icicle. Will get a photo of Pink Ice later. .
        Last edited by Galina; 09-10-2014, 10:29.

Comment

Pink Icicle looks fantastic! I don't think I've ever seen a pink tomato, and I love the shape.

Comment

You are welcome to seed. I am fermenting plenty and planning to stick a portion for everybody into the seed circle. I had several plants both in the greenhouse and outdoors. The outdoors fruits were smaller, but there are still some growing at the moment, another variety that (this year) seems to have got blight and then recovered.

Pink Ice outside plants had to be pulled up, but I took in a lot of green fruits which iare ripening on the windowsill. I still have a greenhouse plant going strong and producing lots.

Jayb, Tatiana says that Sandhill is one of the seed sources. Chances are my seeds were from there as the ITT organiser got many of the seeds from them.

Comment

Oh you tease, I was quite excited thinking you had a small pink elongated type! Glad you liked Pink Icicle, you might want to label it as Sosulka Rozovaya which is the original name. Seeds I shared with you came originally from Baker Creek, although I do have some from SeDeK seeds, just not grown any out yet, if you ever want to compare them.

Comment

Yes note taken again on the proper name for this variety and thank you for the reminder. They will be offered as Sosulka Rozovaya for the seed circle, with the aka of Pink Icicle

Comment

Pink Ice - sorry a bit over exposed picture. Should not have the yellow hue. The shape is plum, but a little irregular, some are slightly pinched at the base, which looks a little more like a pear than a plum.

Comment

• jayb
                    jayb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They look morish and kind of cute.

Also beautiful.

Comment

Sosulka Oranzhevaya - Orange Icicle. The third in the Icicle series after Black and Pink. The first fruit has just ripened. This one does look just slightly different to the other icicles, but I checked with pictures on www and it is the correct shape. A little plumper round the middle and just slightly shorter. Looking forward to eating this beauty.
                    Last edited by Galina; 24-08-2015, 17:08.

Comment

And another tomato from the Ukraine picked yesterday - Cosmonaut Volkov. A bit misshapen (but it is an early fruit), but nice beefsteak on a relatively dwarf plant.

Comment

Nice.
                        Love that orange colour
                        I remember Cosmonaut Volkov as a good tasty beefsteak, although surprisingly I think it wasn't too generous with fruit when I grew it last. It's one I'd grow again.
                        It might be the lighting, but your fruit looks a bit pink rather than red in the picture?

Comment

• Galina
                          Galina commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Almost certainly the light. It was so dark, rainy and gloomy yesterday that indoors the automatic flash came on even close to the window. Had problems getting the colour of Sosulka right too. The first photo is too dark.

The Cosmonaut Volkov are ripening fast now. These three were photographed in much better light and the colour is more lifelike.

Comment

Working...
                        X