Shh - flowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shh - flowers

I decided to grow a few dahlias this year, not something I've grown for years and wasn't expecting much. But they are proving to be lovely and I'm really enjoying the pops of colour and different shapes and textures. Well I was up until yesterday, the wind and rain overnight I haven't yet dared take a peek.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6251.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	15889

Name:	IMG_6255 (2).JPG
Views:	19
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	15890

Name:	IMG_6238 (2).JPG
Views:	17
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	15891

Name:	IMG_6256 (2).JPG
Views:	23
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	15892

Name:	IMG_6257 (3).JPG
Views:	19
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	15893

Name:	IMG_6241.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	15894

So pretty. You are lucky. All of mine were eaten to the ground by slugs. If I dig up the roots will they resprout next year? No 2 is just gorgeous with this slight windswept look. Hope they made it ok.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, you had sluggie problems, they are real a slug magnet! I wonder if they might be useful as a sacrifice planting in amongst other crops, or does that just attract more slimies into the area?
      Yes, the tubers can be dug and overwintered, somewhere cool and frost-free, I think just covered in barely damp compost works. They can be put to sprout in the spring and cuttings taken from the sprouting stems to increase stock or the whole root planted.
      Thank you, but I fear the wind has done some serious damage, but a good lesson for next year - they need decent support.

Yes, very lovely. I've been thinking of starting some off next year. Having rather looked down on them for some time I've come round to realising that's rather foolish.

Can you recommend a good company for tubers?

Comment

Originally posted by Jang View Post
      Having rather looked down on them for some time I've come round to realising that's rather foolish.
      How funny SNAP!

Can you recommend a good company for tubers?
      I've not really got enough experience to recommend, this year mine were sort of an impulse and a late purchase when they were on sale, they came from Woolmans and Sarah Raven, (possibly J. Parkers too I can't quite remember without checking). Overall I've been quite happy with them all, although some of Sarah Raven's were disappointing upon receipt and certainly sum up you get what you pay for. If I had paid the full price they would have gone back.

For next season so far, I'm also going to be looking at Halls of Haddon, Peter Nyssen, and J. Parker's.

Loving colour

Comment

• Jang
        Jang commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into.
        I used Peter Nyssens quite a lot for drifts of small daffodils, crocuses etc when I was starting the garden here. Takes me back many years. I was impressed with their quality.

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds delightful, I love it when the spring bulbs start to bloom, just a cheerful sight.
    Working...
    X