No announcement yet.

Galina's beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow they look stunning, I recognise some of the types as similar to some I've had from this family, but I don't think I've had purple pods like those or the lovely blue speckly seed. Love the speckled pod too, those seeds look packed!

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I was surprised at the purple pods too, especially how (relatively) wide they are. I don't think that I have seen any beans with purple pods quite like these. Hope they come back in future years.

Still have more of your seeds to grow, didn't get them all in this year.

Have not taken many photos this year. But here is one variety that came from Jaap Vlaming which I have grown out again for fresh seed. From packet number 23 of his collection from Georgia. This is the yellow podded from packet 23. A lovely bean to eat the pods, a bit late but not too late, a heavy bearer. And the 8ft support bean poles were nowhere near tall enough, so the tops of the beans came down again. Made it a lot easier to pick these hanging beans.

When they are very mature they develop some purple speckling. The photo without flash shows the seeds better, the other the lovely golden yellow colour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	geo23zellow.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	10262Click image for larger version

Name:	geo 23 zellow.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	10263

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      These are quite soft and although the beans inside develop, they are still lovely to eat until they are quite mature. Sort of best of both worlds. A bean that is a green bean, but also with tasty beanies inside. I think they are too good for shelling beans.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      They look stunning, beautiful colours. I wonder how high they would go unrestricted?

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      8 foot poles that is at least 7 metres out of the ground and the beans went over a third down the poles again. Say 2.2m plus .7m down again is about 3 metres. I did not restrict them, with 3 meter supports they would have grown up all the way. I once had beans next to the Bramley tree and they seemed to jump from to top of the pole right into the tree and grew for another meter and a half.
Working...
X