The hollyhocks are at their prettiest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hollyhocks are at their prettiest

This time of year the roses and the hollyhocks are at their best. So I thought I would show you too. My first hollyhock was a single that a friend gave me, a beautiful yellow. I 'found' a crimson hollyhock on the way to the park and took a very small pinch of seeds when the flowers were over (it did stick out of the fence). And the other colours must be down to the bees. We have white, yellow, apricot, pink and crimson.

Oooh my they look pretty, what a lovely show they make, they must be a delight each day

Comment

Do they need much depth of soil? I'm wondering how near a shed I might plant, you've inspired me for next year!
      Last edited by jayb; 09-07-2017, 08:41. Reason: spell

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        They have massive tuberous roots, actually a bit like dock, but the roots are bigger and fleshier. Even bigger than chard roots. Rather difficult to dig out, even after the plants have died. They are perennial but only for a few years. Mine just pop up and they are not disturbed on the outside of the beds, the ones on the inside where my veg is mostly get weeded. But the roots don't spread sideways very much. A foot and a half away from the shed and none would grow under the foundations or base of the shed.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        There are many other shades available and also double ones. If you like seeds, I could put some aside for you also.

• jayb
        jayb commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not so sure of the area I was thinking of now, I'll have a mosey around to day. That's very kind but I think I have some seeds somewhere. Will send an sos if no joy my end.
    Working...
    X