Clocks go back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clocks go back!

When I was a child, I used to love it when the clocks went back as I had an extra hour in bed and it was so lovely and dreamy to have that extra cosy time. But now I hate losing that hour in the afternoon/evening, days are so short, not enough time to do things and just want to try and enjoy the little daylight there is!
    I'm not an autumn person.

I was the same as a child! Fortunately, the flip-flopping between times will soon be abolished. Unfortunately, the political consensus is to stick with Summertime, which scientific evidence demonstrates is detrimental to health due to misalignment of daylight exposure and forced waking times based on the clock. Thus, people that know what they're talking about insist that for the good of public health, we should opt for permanent Wintertime. But when is policy ever based on scientific merit?

Comment

I didn't realise it had been decided for sure if it was happening, or which way the clock was going to stick. I think such a 'seemingly simple' choice might have, as you have outlined triffid significant consequences. Perhaps they should meet in the middle and do 1/2 an hour!

Comment

MEPs have voted to abolish by 2021 but I'm not sure if a decision has been made in favour for either time. The article I read on the matter of public health is completely eluding me.
        It's 5 o'clock and dark 'already' so I can empathise with your short-day woes. As a kid I thought it was a brilliant move - darkness earlier for fireworks, bonfires and Christmas lights!

Comment

After Brexit, Britain will not be bound by any EU decision. It is all pretty meaningless anyway.

For example Iceland and UK are in the same time zone with very different day lengths and light periods during the day. So is France and Hungary with very different sunrise and sunset times. I would far prefer permanent summertime. In WWII there was even double summertime to save electricity needed for street lamps and lights.

Comment

Originally posted by triffid View Post
            MEPs have voted to abolish by 2021 but I'm not sure if a decision has been made in favour for either time. The article I read on the matter of public health is completely eluding me.
            It's 5 o'clock and dark 'already' so I can empathise with your short-day woes. As a kid I thought it was a brilliant move - darkness earlier for fireworks, bonfires and Christmas lights!
            Fun times indeed, I remember that feeling of excitement around those dates too, darkness didn't seem to bother me then> I think I'm getting old and grumpy! I'd much prefer the time to be set and not change. But I shall now have to work on embracing the hour change (while we have it) and look for the positives rather than be a grumpy moo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Galina View Post
              After Brexit, Britain will not be bound by any EU decision. It is all pretty meaningless anyway.

For example Iceland and UK are in the same time zone with very different day lengths and light periods during the day. So is France and Hungary with very different sunrise and sunset times. I would far prefer permanent summertime. In WWII there was even double summertime to save electricity needed for street lamps and lights.
              I'm sure if there is a way for them to muck it up they will!!!!!!

Lol, double summertime sounds lush, but would we get the sunshine too

Comment

Working...
              X