No announcement yet.

Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunny today, what a welcome day amid all the bleak news.
    I didn't have a chance to sow or plant but did mow which has made a big difference to the lanky overgrown grass mess that is meant to be a lawn.
    Cut grass scent is so amazing.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      So does this mean horses cannot be fed on silage during winter? I never knew.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Care needs to be taken with silage and horses. Baled silage is safer than pitt silage, although before feeding to stock the heating up process will have already taken place silage can be quite wet and 'pickled'. It is made from lightly wilted mown grass, baled silage being dryer. Haylage is better for ponies as the crop is cut and turned several times more to take much of the moisture out and as the name implies is closer to hay than grass. It is then baled and wrapped and left to ferment after which it is ok to feed to ponies. But once a bale has been opened it has a much shorter life and needs to be eaten within around 3-5 days or spores and other nasties build up, it can also start to reheat. Dried hay is the longlife equivalent and doesn't have the same issues, although even this cannot be safely fed to horses freshly made. It has to have a period when stacked to finish heating up and drying off.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Horses and ponies adore silage/haylage and will eat it even when it is not good for them. Hence the heating up garden grass clippings being a danger and if eaten can cause bloat leading to colic which has a high mortality rate. Horses aren't able to be sick so once something is in their system it has to go through and if extra gasses are present it blocks the system so to speak.

light rain most of the day but felt cold.

Comment

I've heard people around the nation have been experiencing this phenomenon called r-a-i-n over the past couple weeks. It's been like a desert here since April.
      Last night we had a thunderstorm and a brief shower this afternoon. Apparently it will be raining most of tomorrow! The cool breeze off the sea is absolute bliss.

Comment

Working...
      X