CoVid 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoVid 19

I don't think I will be growing anything in the allotment. Staying in to minimize the chances both parents fall in high risk. So I will adapt to change how and what to grow at home. Reading the posts about planting potatoes in flower buckets seems a good idea. Potato,tomato,chilli,cucumber,courgette's, I'll try and work things around.

Difficult times.
    I'm isolating at home with my mum too, I can't quite get my head around it properly yet and all that it will mean. Better it is coming into spring than going into winter though I think.

For potatoes if you can, empty compost sacks filled make better size containers for potatoes than flower buckets which are ok but are just a bit on the small size. Aim for a minimum of 15-20 litres. If you turn the bags inside out they look a bit better as they are generally black and it is easy to punch holes for drainage.

It must be hard you have put a lot into your allotment and the community one. I hope a safe way can be found for you to continue there, though if not I'm sure you will make the most of the available space you have at home.

Would climbing beans squash work for you?

Comment

Is your greenhouse at home, clumsy? That will help hugely I imagine.

I feel very lucky that my growing area is next to my house so I can make the most of having to stay at home and work on it! It sounds as though you have lots of good possibilities though.

Comment

I've been worrying about the allotment too clumsy, as I'm at home with my mum and she's in the vulnerable age group. Though it's not exactly close quarters there, and if a few people were present but kept to their own plots the distance is still significant. But things like unlocking the gate, touching the tap etc. require presence of mind and immediate hand sanitisation. Unfortunately I think many allotment holders will be facing similar hard choices - most people on my row are elderly.

Don't forget strawberries, ideal container plants and nothing beats a sun-ripened sweet strawberry to boost morale.

Comment

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry about your situation Clumsy. Fortunately you have the garden and greenhouse. Hope your parents and you stay safe. And the same goes for you Jayb, Jang and Triffid.

We sorted out MIL with online deliveries as she is isolating but still living independently and I am trying to find lots of online fun things to do for her too including a bit of exercise on youtube for the elderly that she can do.

Yes we need morale boosts at this time and I hope we can all stay safe, weather this storm and our friends and family too.

• jayb
          jayb commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Galina, and very much the same sentiments to you and your family. I'm glad you have been able to put a plan into action for your Mil, it must be a relief to have covered online deliveries, takes out a large chunk of worry.

The virus is just at the beginning and when will it peak?

Got couple of greenhouses at home. But space outside is limited. So going to try and work what is needed most.

I could go to the allotment very early say 5 or 6 am do what is needed but I have a feeling stealing will be the issue if your not seen to be there. Plus gate,taps as mentioned before will be an issue.

Even shopping is an issue for me. The Asian shops are empty heavily relying on the internet. We nearly ran out of flour for roti went to 8 local shops none all gone. Been looking online they all have the same issue of out of stock. Buying certain things is difficult. We'll have to adapt and change for the time being.

Comment

A friend who is organising an international conference at the end of August is quite positive, based on China, who had no new cases for two days, that in Europe it will be over by August. But before then it will peak. So we are in for a rough ride for a bit longer. But all the hoarders will probably have a year's supply by now and the panic buying will soon stop I guess. But 8 shops is quite a lot for flour. What a chore! It is taking it out on all of us. Stay safe. We need to dig deep to find the extra resilience we need.

Comment

• clumsy
            clumsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Roti or chapatti is what my parents use to eat the curry dishes with. I had to reassure them I was going to have some flour because they were hearing the stories from relatives phoning panic everywhere.

• jayb
            jayb commented
            Editing a comment
            Not easy when certain ingredients are staples and not available, I hope you have/are able to find flour, I can imagine it is stressful for your parents.

I was chatting with my brother a couple of days ago and he was having a hard time finding the basics to make a meal for him and the kids too. No bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, chicken, sausages in all the shops around them. He said loads of people in the shops but not much on the shelves. Sad times.

Pasta, toilet paper, hand gels, soaps,kitchen paper the list goes on. I'm hoping things will calm down, It's scary seeing people fighting over things. Their are some asian shops that have increased prices to absolute ridiculous. Some people in desperation are buying them, local councilor said he will name and shame them when this situation is under control.

Comment

How are things going clumsy? I've heard some small local greengrocers are still well stocked because people automatically think of the main supermarkets when sourcing their food. Hope you and your family are well.

Comment

• triffid
              triffid commented
              Editing a comment
              And I know we're all seed savers here but I'm sure we have our preferences and don't save every single veg type. Seed companies have practically collapsed right now so let me know if there are any veg seeds I could send if you're wanting for anything (or anyone else, too!). High-labour produce like fresh greens are going to be in short supply this year.
              Last edited by triffid; 01-04-2020, 15:20.

• Jang
              Jang commented
              Editing a comment
              I second this. Thank you triffid. Seed sharing is great always but especially at the moment so if anyone is short of anything it would be great to share.

I'm also aware that some forum members were feeling that using their allotment was in doubt. That must be a real sacrifice. Any developments in that area?

My youngest son gardens professionally and he has been agonising for the last couple of weeks. So far he wants to contribute to the national effort by staying at home (and using the precious time to see to his own garden!) But it's complicated and growing food has to be beneficial socially, psychologically, physically, spiritually ......

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Make that three. Seed saving more or less happens automatically here but not for all crops. But what I have I am very happy to share. I have tons of red veined sorrel and some courgette, also lettuce, leeks and turnips. Lots of peas and tomatoes and beans too. Sweet pepper Marconi and some fresh chili seeds too.

Thank you for the kind offer of seeds I really do appreciate it but I can't accept.

It's difficult both parents are high risk. I've got a call from GP to get a blood pressure machine and oxygen meter for my dad. He has COPD and other things including high blood pressure he is taking tablets for. I take the risk to go shopping when I can't get online delivery. I'm the only one who will end up bringing the covid 19 to the house they get infected I was told about the frailty test they won't get any help . So decided not to go to the allotment. Can't take the risk just in case I bring it to them I survive the don't I don't think I could cope with that.

Comment

• jayb
              jayb commented
              Editing a comment
              Thinking of you and your family.

A lockdown special podcast from the organic gardening catalogue. April podcast.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7544062-...tting-composts

Comment

My Mum had a fall a couple of weeks ago in the garden, it was scary balancing if we could get her up and into the house or if we needed outside help and who to call in these times. Thankfully between us, a wheelchair, cushions, blankets and some choice words (from her) we got her into the chair and I could get her inside the house. Luckily nothing broken but very painful plus a nasty bout of vertigo brought on by the fall kept her in bed for 2 weeks. Thankfully she is now starting to move about some and feeling a little better.

Totally get you wanting to socially isolate as much as possible Clumsy, I'm not in your position but I've had similar thoughts too.

Comment

I hope your Mum continues to progress well, jayb. I can imagine how scary it must have been for both.

At about the same time, we had a situation where it was difficult to know how far to try to manage without outside help. My partner put his hand into my big petrol driven shredder (!) and had a horrible mess on two fingers. We were intending to isolate so he was determined it would heal on its own and managed to last the night but with quite a lot of blood shed. My oldest son is a GP and after seeing a photo put quite a bit of pressure on us to go to A & E. He was right: both fingers were fractured and cut deeply and could easily have resulted in sepsis without antibiotics.

So four visits to hospital have been necessary and isolation has gone by the board. The treatment has been brilliant and very thorough, especially in the circumstances. But no sign of precautionary protection so all a bit worrying.
                I imagine a lot of people are putting non-Covid difficulties on hold, not always with good outcomes, but at least your mother is making a good recovery and great that you were both able to manage without outside help.

And sympathies, clumsy. I can imagine it's quite a sacrifice but at least you will know your parents will be as safe as possible.

Comment

• clumsy
                  clumsy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Safety comes first for me. But I'm adapting to grown on a small scale at home. Brought a blood pressure,oximeter,temperature gauge now looking to get a cpap machine for the home. Dad has COPD, so worst case scenario I'll be to do something.

So sorry to read about all your accounts. Hope your Mum continues to improve Jayb, what a worry. And that accident with the shredder is a nightmare quite without the Corona. Wish you luck finding a CPAP machine Clumsy. Yes it is a job staying safe and keeping others safe, doctors appointments are a must despite the risk and so is basic shopping. I must admit that I have started washing grocery packets down with soapy water if the contents are to be used straightaway. I have a bout of sciatica and try to keep moving with youtube exercises, can't do my usual back exercises. It will be a while before we can get to an osteopath again. We can only do what we can do and hope it is enough. Hope everybody is feeling ok with all the restrictions and not desperate. But it is not easy. So much had to be put on hold. Hope those fingers heal fast too. At least with better weather our elderly relatives can also get a bit of fresh air if only at the open window. Hope everybody manages to keep their spirits up.
                Last edited by Galina; 09-04-2020, 11:23.

Comment

• clumsy
                  clumsy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes same here, Buying fruit that is in a pastic cover already nothing loose where they have to pick and handle it. The shopping delivered is with disposable gloves and try to wipe everything.

Had few relatives around the country pass away from the virus or recovered in one case then had a heart attack a day later and passed away. Dad isn't taking the news well because the one's passed away were very close. Starting to hate picking up the phone and giving my dad the bad news.

Terribly sorry to hear of your loss, clumsy. We've also lost a relative overseas. Make sure you're taking good care of yourself, it would seem you bear a great deal of responsibility. Wishing you well.

Comment

• Galina
                  Galina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is just so sad. We hear very little of what happens in other countries. This disease is a huge tragedy and everybody is affected. If not physically, then definitely mentally and financially, Did you get all the equipment you wanted for your parents Clumsy? Stay safe everybody.

Just a wee note to say thinking of everyone- especially those supporting loved ones health and wellbeing.

Comment

Working...
                X