Cold and Windy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold and Windy

Well the wind brought my neighbours down right on top of the green house. The tree snapped in half.

Sorry to hear this. Is the glass and structure intact?

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Goodness, hope there is no damage. It will take some doing to remove the half tree. Hope greenhouse is ok.

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      So far I can see six glass panes broken not sure of anything else. It's still windy don't want to risk going inside the greenhouse the tree is resting on the branches,wall and the greenhouse. Plus it's cold I'm not sure if the chilli's, tomato plants will survive cold weather predicted next few days.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Goodness me! That’s awful.
      I don’t know where you are but here there’s no actual frost predicted and I imagine the plants are protected from wind and cold by all that foliage. So I bet they’ll be OK.
      When I had similar from a tree felling which went a bit wrong, the frame was just slightly dented which made the new glass a bit trickier to fit, but they’re surprisingly robust structures so I hope The repair won’t be too difficult.

Will your neighbour help you when you decide to have a go at it?

The neighbour came to chop the tree and move it, the rented property his daughter lives their so they aren't sure if they have insurance (ie landlord) they were very sorry. My dad's roses got damaged in the process of moving the tree plus cutting it but had no choice the raised bed was under the tree. We'll see what the outcome is the gentleman said he'll look at the prices of the greenhouses.

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      How awful, a just planted up greenhouse smashed, roses smashed, Devastating also for your Mum and Dad. Very sad to hear this. I hope the insurance will stretch to a new greenhouse, but picking up glass from 6 panes among plants is an awful job and there will not be an insurance for it. Neighbours with balls will always say, 'I'll replace the glass of course' but when you ask whether they will also come round to pick out the glass shards, they get the full problem. It is much more of a problem than a few quid to replace the glass. This is just the last thing you needed at the present time. So sorry this has happened.
      Last edited by Galina; 12-05-2020, 06:38.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      That's awful, Clumsy. As Galina says, it's the last thing you need on top of other difficulties at the moment. I hope the landlord does have insurance and you can at least have your costs covered, but of course it's a huge inconvenience and setback in the meantime. Pleased the neighbour is sympathetic at least and hope he continues to be helpful. Good luck with it all.

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I cleared the mess the glass and the tree shedding, I didn't ask. Once got the tree chopped and the branches cut moved that to their house Made it safe for parents.

The neighbour has made the landlord aware of the situation. He live's down south as we live in derby. Plus went to the allotment thinking of bringing the greenhouse from there to home if needed. Surreal moment all the plotholders coming over to me when they saw me on my plot. Became a huge crowd in the end.

Comment

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      You are obviously very well liked and much missed, Clumsy. I hope that was heartening and slightly helped with your greenhouse disaster

So sorry about the damage to your greenhouse and plants, glad you were able to make it safe for you and your parents.
    Yes it sounds just as Jang says
    You are obviously very well liked and much missed
    Were you able to bring the lottie greenhouse home?

Comment

• clumsy
      clumsy commented
      Editing a comment
      They gave me the number to the landlord he lives in london. So I sent him the message got a reply to get quotes and take photo's and send it to him. I'll see what his decision is about the qoutes when I get them. I think it's going to none repairable and probably a new one. It's a greenhouse with high eaves they are 6ft and the frame is steel the price for these are high.

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds promising, let's hope they come through with a new one for you. I hope you were able to salvage the plants.

I sent him an email with the photo's of damage. I got a builder to look at it, the verdict is not repairable. The landlord has sent a reply he's waiting for a reply from his insurance company. The replacement I showed him was elite high eave greenhouse.

Comment

• jayb
      jayb commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds promising. I just had a google, looks and sounds a lovely greenhouse, but then you had a fab g'house before the damage so only fair. Fingers crossed here insurers etc come through.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Responding is at least the first step towards taking responsibility and making amends. How are the plants doing?
Working...
X