Post from Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post from Europe

My two packets of seeds from Permasemínka in the Czech Republic, which I’d given up as lost, have just arrived!
    They were posted on 9th November. No sign of them being opened, no postmark. A pristine envelope which could have been posted yesterday. I particularly like the inscription Prioritaire in the bottom left corner.

Where Brexit is in all that, I have no idea.

Brilliant, just brilliant. So glad they made it after all. No doubt very welcome. Because they have been hanging around in conditions unknown their viability may be down a little. But a pristine envelope is a very good sign. So happy for you, as I know you must be. What treasures did you go for?

Comment

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      It was the type that may or may not come from Wales, but wrongly also goes under the name of Welsh Onion. Got it from Goodlife on A4A a long time ago. She also gave me the multiplying leeks and when they flowered I put the seeds into the seed circle. So hopefully, even if mine are cactus (although I still have seeds), they survive in UK. Believed to be the Welsh coastal multiplying leek. It is sad and it is not, if not suitable for here, then ultimately, why grow it? But it is sad, because all seeds and plant materials from gardening friends are special and I like to grow them, think of the donor, and wish them well.

• Jang
      Jang commented
      Editing a comment
      Perennial alliums are such a rich but confusing field. I have a ‘wild’ leek which I bought from Shipton bulbs. They say it’s the one which grows round the coast of Wales, Cornwall and Scillies. It has grown very strongly and not been affected by the protracted spell of freezing we had in February. Temperatures not as low as yours of course.
      Not sure that I quite understood but is it the two allium types you had from Goodlife which you’ve probably lost? Like you I treasure the associations of plants and seeds I’ve been given, and that would be a sad loss.

• Galina
      Galina commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like that may be the same leek as I had, but a different leek to Telsing's. Yes probably lost both of them unless the onions have disappeared underground and will resprout. Also my chives are nowhere to be seen at the moment, hope they will come back. So not written off yet entirely, but I think they are lost. Spring will show.
      Last edited by Galina; 06-03-2021, 11:58.

This is great news! In time for spring sowing despite the impressive 4 month lead time. Hopefully they were kept at cool ambient temperatures. Seems like the package was forgotten somewhere and spared any abuse. Lack of postmark is very strange, but I've been noticing some oddities since before Christmas.

Comment

Yes, very odd. Just need the beans I posted to Ruud in Nov/Dec 2019 to turn up now!

Comment

Working...
      X