Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talking about odd things happening with flower colours ................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking about odd things happening with flower colours ................

These are a few blooms of rose 'Winchester Cathedral'. Normally pure white, but one bloom this year was half pink. The flower to the left of it has one pink petal, all the others are white as usual. Is this due to the weather? Certainly odd, but attractive.

So pretty
    And isn't that one random petal bizarre. I'm not sure it's the weather, more a mutation. Hope you get more two tone flowers.

Not sure it is the same but if you get a mutation in a tomato plant that affects it giving one or more shoots with the mutation say a yellow fruit on a red fruiting plant then seed saved from that fruit will give plants that are yellow fruited (assuming it's not an F1) similarly the variegated form of Lange Ærmer I found has remained variegated from seed I've saved. If you got just a solo leaf that was variegated it is localised and wouldn't be inherited. Sorry I'm not very clear.

Be fun if this could be captured

Comment

I found this https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=259

Comment

Thank you. That was an interesting read Jayb. Fluctuating weather, well we had plenty of that!

I have also done a bit of research. Turns out that rose Winchester Cathedral IS a sport ie a mutation, from a pink rose called Mary Rose. The pink is a little bit of a throwback it seems. Maybe a throwback is not so difficult in a sport. Perhaps the initial mutation was the far more unusual happening. Sort of makes sense to me.

Comment

Tried to comment on Jayb's first post, but too many characters. I'll put it here instead...

No, that makes sense. If the mutation's in somatic cells only it won't be heritable (unless you propagate vegetatively), but if it affects sex cells (pollen/ovaries) it might well be.

Interesting tangent: there was once a case of a pregnant woman who got divorced, and her ex demanded DNA tests to determine if he was the father of her children. Tests showed that he definitely was the father, but she could not possibly be the mother. This was understandably confusing for everyone as she clearly remembered giving birth to them!

When she gave birth during the legal procedure she was watched the whole time and swabs taken immediately. The tests came back the same. He was the father, she was not the mother. Eventually someone sussed it out: parts of her body (including her ovaries) had a completely different genetic makeup, so when they took swabs from her cheek it didn't match the DNA of her children. She probably started out as non-identical twins, but one embryo absorbed the other at an early stage and only one baby developed, but with patches of cells from each embryo distributed in her body. It's called chimerism.

It's also possible for a similar effect to happen with an early mutation - that's called a mosaic.

Comment

Working...
          X