Squash own pot cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squash own pot cooking

One of my favourite ways to eat squash, cooked in their own pot. I cooked this in the microwave but roasting in the oven will do too, just takes a lot longer.

First select your squash, these are scrummy Amber Cup (thanks Ruud)

Click image for larger version

Name:	071.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	4716

Cut the top off the squash and level the base if needed to keep it upright. Scoop out the seeds.

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	4720

Use pretty much what you like, but this time I've gone for shallot, garlic, tomatoes and a rasher of bacon. The juice from the squash and tomatoes mingles together to make a delish stock.

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	4717

Add all the ingredients to the squash pot, I also added a knob of butter, ground salt and pepper to the mix. Put the lid on and add a little water or stock if needed and cook on full power in the microwave until tender or pop in the oven till cooked through.

Name:	019.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	4718

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	4719

Ohhh - I'm salivating - drooling in fact. What a lovely idea for a quick, lovely meal. Don't they look a lovely golden colour inside?

Comment

Really pleased with Amber Cup (OP), lovely size for one and delish. You're right, colour is gorgeous

Comment

it is good to see you are enjoying amber cup.I will try your recipe.You can do this recipe also with a round courgette.

Comment

Yes, it is a very clever recipe and quick to make and good.

Comment

Sadly no more Amber cups left, boo, I'll have to wait until the autumn for more. Thanks, using round courgette is a good idea, plus I'll get to eat some all the sooner! I've penciled in to grow Golden Nugget and Gill's Golden Pippin, for hopefully tasty one pot cookers

Comment

• Galina
              Galina commented
              Editing a comment
              Could also work well with the c maxima Zapallito squashes.

Oooh yes it may indeed, though I don't remember the flesh being very thick?

Comment

Working...
            X