No announcement yet.

Oregon Giant Pea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over here they're on the small side, around 30-40cm; attributed to their 'episode' with the pigeons. But flowering profusely - pods are appx. 3 inches right now. I believe they attain sizes of between 4 and 5 inches, so the one in your picture is likely on track to fill out a little more. I won't pick mine until the peas inside are a good size. I think the pods buckle and twist when this happens? Hoping the flavour is good - OSP failed to impress. Much prefer Fruher Heinrich and Bijou.

Comment

They have grown a little larger since measuring. I'll take my ruler to them again.

I picked some yesterday and ate them, both raw and cooked. I was impressed: they are both tender and sweet with just a little string in the older pods. .

Comment

• triffid
        triffid commented
        Editing a comment
        Had some cooked with dinner last night, thought they were very nice; sweet, good texture, mild flavour. The peas inside were well-developed but the pods weren't huge. Letting the rest go to seed.

Blasted voles have taken off with my seeds! Very generously left me with about a dozen to start over again. Snails also hollowed out a few pods... a very popular variety with a fauna in my area.

Comment

Sorry to read triffid, glad you have enough for another go. Well I c a n sort of see what Carol Deppe is on about with the thicker pods, but the difference is not all that striking. As far as size goes, they are large, but by no means in the really big class. Fortunately my old seeds were the same type as the Czech seeds, but the Czech seeds were not totally uniform. A bit of selection for the largest pods on the best producing plants may be required. The Czech seeds did have some of the larger pods, my old seeds were all what I would call medium sized. But they all had that same slightly thicker pod wall. I don't actually know what this enation mosaic virus is all about that they are supposed to be resistant to, maybe it isn't such a problem here, I don't recall seeing it ever. Yes they taste nice enough and production is good too. Will definitely grow again.

Comment

• Jang
          Jang commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I agree with the thicker walls and the variation in size though had put that down to natural variation caused by changing factors. Interesting to consider that it might be seed variation. As you say, none really giant on the scale of Bijou which I’ve also grown this year.
          But I hope to grow again too.

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, the pods don't reach the mammoth proportions of the old mangetout varieties, but the pod walls were on the thicker side. The seeds were variable, too, and I had one plant with snap pods.

What was the final height of your plants?

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          A good 4 foot, stretched out.
      Working...
      X