No announcement yet.

Oca seeds offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the picture of the flower it's only on one plant at the moment.

Comment

Just look at the progress these plants have made! Can't quite see whether it is a long style or a shorty style type of flower. In order for crossing to occur, both must be present, just one type does not do the trick. Best of luck. Jayb has all this described with lovely detail, but I can't quite find where that post is.

Comment

So far only one plant flowered the other two haven't but they look good at the moment. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow.

Comment

We have on OCa flower too

Comment

Great stuff!

Comment

Update on how the plants look.

Comment

Did anyone have success in getting Oca true seeds?

Comment

• clumsy
                  clumsy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nope the flower's came and went no pods were produced.

• Galina
                  Galina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had flowers in autumn, then fleeced them to keep them growing for as long as possible, when after the first sharp frost I opened the fleece there were very few tubers left and most of the plants were broken and scattered too. From the position in the ground and matching the descriptions and photos I could identify tubers, but from two varieties I had to root non-frosted bits of stem. I think I have kept all varieties (just) but definitely no seed. The voles/mice pretty much massacred last year's ocas. Lesson learned - do not plant next to a bush (shelter for mice/voles) and do not fleece (again that gives them shelter).

What a shame, it seems they can be quite shy at setting seeds. I was lucky again last year and was able to save some.

Comment

That's good to know I've wondered about fleecing, but seeing as I seem to have similar issues with voles as you, it's going to be a no no. I'm planning on planting mine into a furrow again this year as middle of the plot as possible and away from hedge. Fingers crossed. On last years achievement, I better success with collecting seeds than a final harvest such was the damage!

Comment

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Compromises we gardeners have to make. Either have large beautiful tubers with fleece or smaller, but reliable tubers without. I know which I will choose. With a lot more time no doubt I could have humane traps under the fleece and check them daily, but I can't see myself doing that. But we will still have earlier tuberisation with oca from seed and it is still a very worthwhile project.

This has been growing under every other plants. I had seen it earlier in the season but left it to do it's own thing. I must have left one in the soil like potatoes I seem to miss odd one here and there. Not sure which variety from last year until I harvest once it has died back.

Comment

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a nice surprise. They don't take up much room and I hope you will get a nice surprise with the harvested quantity. If it is Pobbles or Bracelet, I think Jayb is still looking for a couple of tubers. It is definitely not Redley as that would have reddish stems.

Probably harvest around december time will take a photo. Yes I remember Jayb was looking for the tubers will pass them to you if it's ok. Depends on the quality of the tubers fingers crossed they do well.

Comment

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And I will pass them on. Unfortunately I haven't heard from her in a long time, but hope she is ok.

Harvested the plant as you can see. I will post them on monday morning Galina to you. Not bad a harvest since it grew from a volunteer and I didn't even touch it, left it to mother nature. I'm happy with the outcome.

Comment

• Galina
                    Galina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Does look good Clumsy and I will pass tubers to Jayb for her to reclaim what she lost. She'll be thrilled. Thank you.

I'll be posting these in the morning. They seem to be better size and quality I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X