9 Star perennial broccoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 Star perennial broccoli

I've saved some seeds from my plants this year if anyone would like some. There are only 3 plants ( not perfect, I know) but they were in a netted tunnel so shouldn't have crossed with any of the other brassicas. The parent plants were grown from seed about 5 years ago and I've grown more from sideshoots - but these are outside the net. Happy to share or swap if you're interested.

Congratulations on these seeds Veggie and thank you for your offer. You are clearly doing much better than I with 9 star. I have seeds left and I have just received another packet from Brown Envelope Seeds in Ireland who are stocking them this year.

As you say, 3 plants is not very much. I have a worse problem with my variegated Daubentons where I had one plant flowering (they should not even flower at all!) and only one other perennial in flower to cross to. Should have also been the 9 star as a third, but that was not to be. Well done you.

Comment

Thanks Galina. I've had normal Daubenton's flowering - grown from HSL seed - but again, only one plant. It flowered for several years but died last season. I must start some more - thanks for reminding me

Comment

The normal mode to propagate Daubenton's is from cuttings. I guess the HSL one must have flowered for them to be offering seeds, so any grown from those seeds may well be more likely to flower themselves.

I see a bit of a parallel here with the shallots. If we only propagate vegetatively from offsets, they are less likely to flower, but the ones I grew from real seeds were more likely to have flower scapes in the early years before propagating again vegetatively from them.

Comment

Nine star brocs that I had left in pots in a bed rooted.. fruited and now flowering. I was going to move them at end of season. Will flowering bump off the plants and is saving seed worthwhile as other poster said- small pool? Four in flower.

I have five other firmly established and propagating- so could let theses others flowEr

Comment

Working...
          X