Requesting seed from JIC SeedStor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting seed from JIC SeedStor

Is it as simple as adding the accession to the cart and requesting from the GRU? Do they consider requests of Pisum and Vicia seed from hobby growers?

Silverleaf has done just that. She told them about her breeding aims and got small samples of seed. Unfortunately she has been very quiet lately on here.

Comment

Oh that's a shame, I've browsed a few of her posts and her projects are inspiring.
      Good to know - I might be able to get my hands on Grave Digger.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Ooooh nice, yellow podded and cerise flowered both together are rather special. And purple acacia also sounds fun. Have you seen their very long mangetout? More like a bean than a pea.
        PS: Just had a look and there is only one that fits cerise flowers and yellow pods. Unfortunately it is a shelling pea and one that sets first flowers quite high up the plant, so fairly late. Pity.
        Last edited by Galina; 01-02-2019, 23:52.

• triffid
        triffid commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that mangetout is a monster! JI0046 and JI0015 are what I have noted with cerise flowers and yellow pods. JI0015 has partial parchment. JI1341 is also interesting, a white-flowered, fasciated, yellow-podded with absent parchment.

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the numbers Triffid. Off to look at them.

I better start a new post, as I missed your last comment Triffid. Have had a look at the peas you flagged up. All breeding material rather than useful in their current state. Both of the yellow pods are very small, only 4 or 5 cm with only 5 seeds. But that could be fixed hopefully by choosing better crossing partners. This should also address the height to first flower on the first one. One of the pink flowers is described as "other". It does look very much like the darker pink I had one year on what I called "redder Elisabeth", which turned into normal pink again in the next generation.

Unfortunately when it comes to your third choice, JI1341 (a white-flowered, fasciated, yellow-podded with absent parchment) there is a bit of a problem. Nodes to flower 21 internode length 100mm, ouch! The lowest flowers are at plant height of over 2 metres, unless I read this wrong. This will need some supporting and crosses will need to be done with a ladder. The photos look fascinating though.

There is fascinating potential. Wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Triffid, I must have made a mistake regarding the height of the first flower of your third pea. Have just looked at another pea, an ex commercial pea, Sugar Pea (Dobbies), and they specify internode length as 95, nodes to flower 15 and flowering height as 70cm . If I take 95mm and multiply times 15 in the manner I did in the above post, it does not result in 70cm. So please disregard that the third example might be flowering very high up the plant. Clearly there is something I do not understand about how internode length and nodes to flower multiply up to give flowering height. Please disregard the last post. Can anybody explain how internode length and nodes to flower do relate please?

Comment

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah not to worry, I'd missed your previous post. Sorry for the late response. The internode conundrum continues. Did you contact the staff for an explanation?

• Galina
          Galina commented
          Editing a comment
          Since Mike Ambrose's retirement it is not really clear who to contact. Mike was very helpful to us enthusiasts, that was a bit special. Not sure who to talk to now. But obviously others are equally puzzled by this. When you get the pea it will be interesting to see what is actually going on. Do you have any contacts?
      Working...
      X