Hello from Lincolnshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Lincolnshire

Hello. I've been passionate about growing food - and non-food - here in the flat Lincolnshire Fens for about twenty years. I've saved seed when it's offered itself but it hasn't been a priority till recently. In the last year though, I've begun to feel very committed to open pollinated varieties and the whole world of heritage, landrace and seed saving. I'd also like to begin experimenting more widely in time. I'm excited to find your forum and hope to find time to contribute sometines, probably mainly with questions to begin with.

Welcome Jang. Ask away. Fenland growing conjures up ideal soil, good weather and fabulous growing conditions. What are you planning for landraces? Yes experiments are fun and some even work out and we learn from the ones that didn't work as much as the ones that do. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Comment

Hi Galina. Thanks for your welcome. Yes, the soil is pretty good here and nearly always workable so I consider myself very fortunate. As I'm only just beginning my acquaintance with the concept of landraces and have quite a lot of confusion, I wouldn't say I have particular plans yet. Does this forum have a shared understanding of what constitutes a landrace? It seems that sometimes the term seems to be used of a variety that has simply become adapted to local conditions through selecting the best seed in that environment, sometimes it seems to apply to growing several varieties and letting them cross-breed in a free-for-all, and sometimes to deliberate crossing of varieties. So I'm interested in views of others who have much more experience of doing any of these.

Comment

• Galina
        Galina commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm afraid we don't have a shared understanding on a definition of landraces, but there has been quite a bit of discussion. If you would like to read some of it: https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.c...ex-or-landrace
        And info on both Alan Kapuler and Joseph Lofthouse who both consider themselves landrace breeders, but they are breeding in very different ways. There is also Thomas Wagner who offers not fully segregated tomato seed varieties for the grower to choose their own favourite plants and save seeds from those that do well. Lastly there are several breeders of landrace projects on this forum, for example Silverleaf.

That's really interesting. I had read some of the forum contributions and will keep going back to them and to your references. It's complex and there's a lot to chew over. I've come across Alan Kapuler and read some of his stuff but d OK don't know the others you mention. .
      I've been growing a lot of spotted lettuces prompted by my son who has a special interest from the art point of view but less space than me. We got quite a lot of seed from Wild Garden Seeds in US where Frank Morton breeds new varieties. Some of them are sold as genetically diverse, such as his Secret Mix or more specific mixes like Camo Oakheart Mix. I think this is an interesting starting point and would like to find the time to do some experimentation with coloured lettuces.

Comment

Hi, welcome Jang! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, we're all learning from each other all the time.

As Galina says I've been messing around with landraces a bit - for me it involves letting lots of different varieties cross in the hope of creating a nice varied mixture of plants that will do well in my growing conditions but I know that's not what everyone means by the word.

Comment

Thanks Silverleaf. That's roughly what I'm wondering whether to do with the kale varieties I'm growing. Brassicas are quite promiscuous I think, so I guess I have to make sure there are no non-kale brassicas growing within range.

Comment

Welcome Jang, sorry to be late greeting you

Comment

Working...
            X