Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Good evening all,

I'm a new allotmenteer and novice when it comes to cultivating in the earth; my compulsion to grow things has previously been limited to the patio container!

Currently in the ground is a patch of 'Sussex heritage' wheat as winter cover, and some broad beans.

Peas are my focus for the coming season and I plan to save seed from some heritage varieties and try my hand at breeding, too. I know there is much to learn from this forum about this legume!

Best,
    triffid.

Hi welcome to the forum. We do have experts on peas they should be around soon.

Comment

Hello Triffid and welcome. I'm quite new here too but there are lots of knowledgeable people here to help you.

Comment

Hi triffid and nice to meet you. Well it will be good to compare pea notes with you. What types of peas are you interested in? I grow all, but my main breeding interest is in mangetout and snap peas.

Comment

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          Mangetout are fantastic! Discovering Rebsie Fairholm's red-podded led me down this rabbit hole to the pea fanciers' domain. I've always thought peas and pea vines are quaint and lovely (to me the flowers and tendrils have a cute factor), but now I have an allotment I can get serious. A trait that has piqued my interest is multi-node blooms. Also breeding pretty flower colouration wasn't something I had considered until reading this forum. Apart from that I'm in it for the weird and wonderful!

Hello and Welcome Triffid, sounds like you have lots of lovely plans for the year ahead What heritage varieties are you planning on growing?

ps love your avatar!

Comment

• triffid
          triffid commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks jayb!

Perhaps too many - hope to make room for Rosakrone, Bijou, Kent Blue, Panthers, Freer's Mummy, Bullroyd Bean Pea, Stokesley, Robinson and Clark's Beltony Blue for saving seed. I trialed Champion of England and Golden Sweet last year - very tasty & are more widespread so if I grow those it'll be for the table.

Yes, we don't know why Rebsie stopped writing, but she has certainly started something. For me it was Carol Deppe's book "Breed your own vegetable varieties" that started the pea madness. And a beginners luck breeding success. Have been far less successful with red podded mangetout and snap pea breeding. Like Rebsie I have a fully red shelling pea, but that does not really count. Purple and by extension red is a tricky colour to achieve in mangetouts.

Comment

Working...
        X