• jayb
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for sharing.

• jayb
    commented on 's reply
    Stunning!

• triffid
    commented on 's reply
    She's had excellent good fortune with her mangetout line, even honoured it with a name!
    http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.co...nd-beyond.html

• jayb
    commented on 's reply
    That's good news, is she making progress with the elusive red podded mangetout? I've been reading a bit over at HG site recently, such a lot of amazing information.

• Galina
    commented on 's reply
    Rebsie has been in communication recently both on the Homegrown Goodness site and on the OSSI site. She appears to have continued with her pea breeding too and was amazed that her original red pea thread was still thriving on the Homegrown Goodness site.

• jayb
    replied

Feel for you, Powdery mildew is such a nightmare.

Wow, those leaves look humongous (or is it humungous?) whichever they look BIG!

Leave a comment:

• triffid
    replied
    Yes its possible they're the same. Very pretty but they didn't have much of a good time last year, powdery mildew really took its toll.

Panthers is a smashing variety, in my opinion. Had huge plants last spring, here's a photo. No pests except pigeons. Everyone who tried them commented on the flavour and sweetness. Wish I had more to eat, and haven't tried them cooked, but was saving seed. Now I have plenty to grow and share, pm me I'll send you a packet.

Leave a comment:

• jayb
    replied
    Rosakrone looks similar to Salmon Flowered, I do love Crown peas How did you find them?

I've not heard of Panthers pea, they sound good from the HSL blurb. Are they one to look out for?

Leave a comment:

• Galina
    replied
    Yes, we don't know why Rebsie stopped writing, but she has certainly started something. For me it was Carol Deppe's book "Breed your own vegetable varieties" that started the pea madness. And a beginners luck breeding success. Have been far less successful with red podded mangetout and snap pea breeding. Like Rebsie I have a fully red shelling pea, but that does not really count. Purple and by extension red is a tricky colour to achieve in mangetouts.

Leave a comment:

• triffid
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks jayb!

Perhaps too many - hope to make room for Rosakrone, Bijou, Kent Blue, Panthers, Freer's Mummy, Bullroyd Bean Pea, Stokesley, Robinson and Clark's Beltony Blue for saving seed. I trialed Champion of England and Golden Sweet last year - very tasty & are more widespread so if I grow those it'll be for the table.

• triffid
    commented on 's reply
    Mangetout are fantastic! Discovering Rebsie Fairholm's red-podded led me down this rabbit hole to the pea fanciers' domain. I've always thought peas and pea vines are quaint and lovely (to me the flowers and tendrils have a cute factor), but now I have an allotment I can get serious. A trait that has piqued my interest is multi-node blooms. Also breeding pretty flower colouration wasn't something I had considered until reading this forum. Apart from that I'm in it for the weird and wonderful!

• jayb
    replied
    Hello and Welcome Triffid, sounds like you have lots of lovely plans for the year ahead What heritage varieties are you planning on growing?

ps love your avatar!

Leave a comment:

• Galina
    replied
    Hi triffid and nice to meet you. Well it will be good to compare pea notes with you. What types of peas are you interested in? I grow all, but my main breeding interest is in mangetout and snap peas.

Leave a comment:

• Veggie
    replied
    Hello Triffid and welcome. I'm quite new here too but there are lots of knowledgeable people here to help you.

Leave a comment:

• clumsy
    replied
    Hi welcome to the forum. We do have experts on peas they should be around soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X